What has gone wrong with our country?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
This report in Cycling news

Cyclist seriously injured by auto passenger
A 59 year-old cyclist in Bromley, Kent, England, was seriously injured when a rider in a passing car reached out and pushed him off his bike, cyclingweekly.co.uk reported. Tony Barrett suffered serious neck and back injuries and at first was thought to be paralyzed.

Barrett was able to tell police that a car went by him and that he felt two hands push him. He lost consciousness when he hit his head in falling. He was out riding with a friend, Bob Barrington, who had ridden ahead and then stopped to wait. "A lady in a car stopped and asked me if I was waiting for another cyclist," Barrington told Cycling Weekly. "When I said yes, she said there had been an accident with a car. I hurried back and found Tony by the side of the road."

Detective Sergeant James Herron of the Bromley police said "This is a very serious incident and if we catch the person who did this they are facing a charge of GBH [Grievous Bodily Harm -ed.]" He added that the section of road where the incident occurred was notorious for fast-moving vehicles. Similar incidents have also been reported.

Unquote

It's unblievable to me that such 'persons' are roaming our roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigtallfatbloke

Earlier on this year this happened to me, only fortunatley the idiot chavy oik let go before i fell. It was on a mini roundabout and he grabbed my rear pannier rack as he went around me on the roundabout. i felt the bike lurch and heard the bastard laughing with his mates etc.
Scum like this deserve to be locked up. It's become a national sport to abuse and antagonise cyclists for some people. The police need to get much more pro active in educating scum like these as to the offense they are conducting and the penalty THEY will suffer, not to mention the damage doneto the cyclist and his/her family.
I suggest cyclists write to their mp's etc and get this issue onto the news etc...something has to be done

Membrane

Keith Oates said:

My experience of this sort of thing is that they are young boys/men trying out their new powers. A bit like a few boisterous young male apes taunting the silverback. They don't know their place in the group/society's hierarchy yet. Most don't mean to do any harm. In young men in particular a car artificially boosts their power before they have the mental control to handle that power. In nature the silverback might give such boisterous young males a solid wack or scare the shoot out of them with a chase that informs them of their place in the group.

Out on the roads I've experienced this sort of behaviour against anything lower down the "power" scale, cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians etc. It may be a slap, throwing objects, cigarette buds, a push etc. The issue is of course how we as a society fail to provide a structure for young adults where they can learn to become responsible adults, they are mostly left to find their way themselves. It is not a road issue but a general one. It may manifest itself particularly on the roads, but my guess is that this is due to the fact that youngsters nowadays are able to get and drive a car much more easily than my generation was able to.

col

Legendary Member
Membrane said:
My experience of this sort of thing is that they are young boys/men trying out their new powers. A bit like a few boisterous young male apes taunting the silverback. They don't know their place in the group/society's hierarchy yet. Most don't mean to do any harm. In young men in particular a car artificially boosts their power before they have the mental control to handle that power. In nature the silverback might give such boisterous young males a solid wack or scare the shoot out of them with a chase that informs them of their place in the group.

Out on the roads I've experienced this sort of behaviour against anything lower down the "power" scale, cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians etc. It may be a slap, throwing objects, cigarette buds, a push etc. The issue is of course how we as a society fail to provide a structure for young adults where they can learn to become responsible adults, they are mostly left to find their way themselves. It is not a road issue but a general one. It may manifest itself particularly on the roads, but my guess is that this is due to the fact that youngsters nowadays are able to get and drive a car much more easily than my generation was able to.

Shoot them

frog

heaven forbid you might be infringing on their human rights

human rights are for people who behave like humans. Stop behaving like one and you revoke that right so it's fine to put in stocks, shoot, skin alive etc because they quit the human race.

Resignation accepted - would sir follow me to the codling grinder, your public awaits :blush:

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Keith Oates said:
This report in Cycling news

Cyclist seriously injured by auto passenger
A 59 year-old cyclist in Bromley, Kent, England, was seriously injured when a rider in a passing car reached out and pushed him off his bike, cyclingweekly.co.uk reported. Tony Barrett suffered serious neck and back injuries and at first was thought to be paralyzed.

Barrett was able to tell police that a car went by him and that he felt two hands push him. He lost consciousness when he hit his head in falling. He was out riding with a friend, Bob Barrington, who had ridden ahead and then stopped to wait. "A lady in a car stopped and asked me if I was waiting for another cyclist," Barrington told Cycling Weekly. "When I said yes, she said there had been an accident with a car. I hurried back and found Tony by the side of the road."

Detective Sergeant James Herron of the Bromley police said "This is a very serious incident and if we catch the person who did this they are facing a charge of GBH [Grievous Bodily Harm -ed.]" He added that the section of road where the incident occurred was notorious for fast-moving vehicles. Similar incidents have also been reported.

Unquote

I work in Bromley and it's the first I've heard of this incident! Fortunately I don't use that particular road. I'm not back at work until next Tuesday but I'll post any updates (that I'm allowed to!) when I get back.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Membrane said:

That's the clearest analysis I've seen of the problem - you must be an anthropologist or a behavioural psychologist! From similar stories I've heard, if the victim gives chase or reacts aggressively the original aggressor usually shoots himself. I once witnessed an interesting incident in Manchester's Deansgate where a chavvy car drove through a puddle and soaked some young men walking along the pavement, which caused much mirth inside the car. Unexpectedly the victims gave chase and we were treated to the sight of the desperate chavs trying to escape through several sets of traffic lights and plenty of traffic. Inevitably the runners caught up with the car, which they tried unsuccessfully to overturn, at that point they were too far up the road for us to see the occupants' faces but I'll bet they were shitting themselves too.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rigid Raider said:
That's the clearest analysis I've seen of the problem - you must be an anthropologist or a behavioural psychologist! From similar stories I've heard, if the victim gives chase or reacts aggressively the original aggressor usually shoots himself. I once witnessed an interesting incident in Manchester's Deansgate where a chavvy car drove through a puddle and soaked some young men walking along the pavement, which caused much mirth inside the car. Unexpectedly the victims gave chase and we were treated to the sight of the desperate chavs trying to escape through several sets of traffic lights and plenty of traffic. Inevitably the runners caught up with the car, which they tried unsuccessfully to overturn, at that point they were too far up the road for us to see the occupants' faces but I'll bet they were shitting themselves too.

Ooh, I wish they'd suceeded....:blush:

Top Bottom