What has happened to my leg? Anybody else had this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For 3 days now, the whole quad muscle in my right leg has been "screaming" in pain. I can hardly walk, cycling is a distant memory for now, stairs are agony, it`s swollen, painful to touch, and even gives way under me which is bloody embarrassing.

It does feel like muscle strain (same sort of pain if I remember rightly from my gym days) but it`s showing no signs of going anywhere any time soon. Nothing touches it, painkillers, ointments, resting, hot baths etc etc.

Anybody had anything similar? It`s making me properly grumpy because I can`t sleep with it either.

Going to see the docs as a matter of course, but just thought I`d ask here too

S-Express

If your description is accurate (no doubt it is) and assuming you can't get in to see a GP anytime soon, then I would be on my way to A&E with that....

Could be a blood clot or DVT, as others have mentioned go to A&E now or at least your doctor asap.

Blood Clot Symptoms
Call your doctor's office if you have these symptoms, especially if they appear suddenly:
  • Swelling in one or both legs
  • Pain or tenderness in one or both legs, even if it's just when you stand or walk
  • Warm skin on your leg
  • Red or discolored skin on your leg
  • Veins you can see
  • Tired legs

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Blood clots normally start in the calves, but get it checked out immediately. If it is a clot you're risking the possibility of a pulmonary embolism or a coronary embolism if some of the clot decides to break away and move along the artery.

Sharky

Guru
Just spent over 5 hours in our local A&E. They are suggesting you try the " out of hours" 111 service rather than clogging up the A&E.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A&E. What you describe is exactly how my 'issues' started, and after 3 days in agony on the sofa being told it was a pulled muscle I ended up in hospital with talk of both legs being amputated.
2 years later, and 5 further episodes later I found out what the problem was, and am learning to manage it.
Edit, what colour is your urine? This is not a silly question....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For 3 days now, the whole quad muscle in my right leg has been "screaming" in pain. I can hardly walk, cycling is a distant memory for now, stairs are agony, it`s swollen, painful to touch, and even gives way under me which is bloody embarrassing.

It does feel like muscle strain (same sort of pain if I remember rightly from my gym days) but it`s showing no signs of going anywhere any time soon. Nothing touches it, painkillers, ointments, resting, hot baths etc etc.

Anybody had anything similar? It`s making me properly grumpy because I can`t sleep with it either.

As suggested above - get it checked out ASAP!

I had the same symptoms and ignored them. It turned out that I had a DVT in my left leg which broke up and spewed out clots which got wedged in my pulmonary artery and turned it into the equivalent of a black pudding. I ended up unconscious and close to death. I spent 9 days in hospital and am not fully recovered 4 years later.

So ... don't take no for an answer. If there is no other explanation for the problem then demand a 'D-Dimer' test. It is a simple and very sensitive blood test which detects signs of clotting. It picks up something like 19/20 cases of DVT. If the test result were positive, then they would probably follow up with an ultrasound scan of your leg.

If you do have a DVT and it is caught soon enough and treated then you might escape the more serious potential outcomes.

Good luck!

Sharky

Guru
Hope you will stay in the A@E until seen by a doctor?
It was actually yesterday. The morning started with a scheduled appointment at the Hospital for a couple of tests, including a CT Scan. All relating to pains and aches from my fall on black ice on Jan 2nd. At the time I was X-ray'd and they found nothing broken, just "soft tissue" damage and was sent home with pain killers. Got home about 2pm and within the hour, had a call from the GP, relaying a message from the hospital that I had to go back to A&E as they thought I had a fractured pelvis!

So back to the A&E, where the wait time to see a doctor was 3hrs 45mins. Eventually got seen and they showed me the x-rays and true enough, my pelvis was fractured. They hadn't spotted it back in January! They couldn't believe I was still walking. It has been a painful three months, gradually getting better and I stopped using the crutches a while back. I've even managed to get back on the bike. Only 72 road miles this year, but this included two "slow" club 10's.

So in total, must have spent over 10 hrs at the hospital, with about 5hrs on the second visit going through the A&E process.

In the waiting room there was a TV screen advertising other ways of getting help, including the out of hours 111 service. Have used the latter a few times when our autistic daughter needed medical attention and it is a good service and at least you do the waiting in the comfort of your own home.

OP
OP
I
Thanks for the messages of concern lovely people:okay::smile:

Anyway, here`s how it stands (for want of a better way of putting it..............), I`ve had the unthinkable ruled out, after lots of questions and examination, and this has actually turned out to be my own stupid fault:blush:

In discussing all of the ins and outs of everything physical that I have done recently, the doc asked if I had done anything unusual, or out of the ordinary, head scratching followed, and then the penny dropped............... I was moving cookers around at the weekend, one of which was bloody heavy and awkward, also involved me walking backwards with my end of it up and over my front door step. So, my right leg being the strongest would have taken the full force of that lot.

I`ve made some progress overnight, the swelling (which was only slight) has gone, and the pain has gone out of it, it`s just feeling a bit stiff now which is far better than the last 3 days, and I can walk quite well again. It was a bit of a shock when I got out of bed this morning and I could stand up without being in pain!

Top Bottom