What has happened to my spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thanks for the advice all. You'll be pleased to know the new cassette is installed, adjusted and running smoothly. I think the problem seems to have been caused by the smallest sprocket being installed incorrectly. When the last sprocket is installed, the splines on the freehub only protrude a tiny amount, so it's possible to put the sprocket on in the wrong position and slightly askew. Tightening the lockring then wonkifies the whole cassette, leading to bad shifting at the top and bottom of the range, which is the initial problem I was trying to correct.

It's a pretty sturdy 32 spoke wheel so I think I can keep riding it for now, although I will respoke it sometime in the future. :thumbsup:

Perhaps I need to elaborate.

From what I can see in the OP's photo, I take it to be minor spoke damage. I base that on the fact that I can't see much silver and that the spokes are not bent. In a serious chain/spoke encounter, two things happen. 1) The spokes gets "shaven" to a point where there is a serious stress riser present 2) the spoke is bent and the wheel thus buckled and 3) There is a lethal burr present that will eat your cleaning cloths, fingers and whatever gets in there.

Here's an example of a wheel with such an accident. In this case, all the outbound spokes need replacing. These are the 8 spokes (in a 32-spoke wheel) on the cassette side, with heads in, elbows out. It is not a matter of "if" these spokes break but a matter of "When". The answer is soon. Not all the spokes have to be replaced, only the damaged ones.

A chain is made from hard, heat-treated carbon steel and a spoke from soft stainless steel. In a battle, the chain always wins.

Shaved Spoke resizedd.JPG

Gixxerman

Guru
So I take it that you have re-installed the pie plate? A simple piece of design that would have prevented this damage. Or have you decided to let vanity continue to overrule common sense?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
So I take it that you have re-installed the pie plate? A simple piece of design that would have prevented this damage. Or have you decided to let vanity continue to overrule common sense?
No, but I have correctly installed the cassette and properly adjusted the limit screws on the mech.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Perhaps I need to elaborate.

From what I can see in the OP's photo, I take it to be minor spoke damage. I base that on the fact that I can't see much silver and that the spokes are not bent. In a serious chain/spoke encounter, two things happen. 1) The spokes gets "shaven" to a point where there is a serious stress riser present 2) the spoke is bent and the wheel thus buckled and 3) There is a lethal burr present that will eat your cleaning cloths, fingers and whatever gets in there.

Here's an example of a wheel with such an accident. In this case, all the outbound spokes need replacing. These are the 8 spokes (in a 32-spoke wheel) on the cassette side, with heads in, elbows out. It is not a matter of "if" these spokes break but a matter of "When". The answer is soon. Not all the spokes have to be replaced, only the damaged ones.

A chain is made from hard, heat-treated carbon steel and a spoke from soft stainless steel. In a battle, the chain always wins.

View attachment 76713
There's certainly no bending. They are jagged enough to catch on a cloth, but not as damaged as in your picture.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'd rather have damaged spokes than use a divvy disc.
To be fair, in this instance I was a bit of a divvy.

Gixxerman

Guru
Bit harsh... :huh:
I suppose it might have been it was amied solely at winjim, which it wasn't.
It was a general comment regarding that there are some people in today's society that put vanity before common sense. I accept that this is their prerogative and they can do as they see fit.
I cite an example of a female freind of mine. She was complaining about painful feet / calfs. The problem she said was down to her "stupid shoes", which were very high heel boots. When asked why she didn't stop wearing them, she replied that there were really stylish and looked good.

I'd rather have damaged spokes than use a divvy disc.
Well that is your choice. It certainly wouldn't be mine.
Some petrolheads insist that it is divvy to have the traction control turned on in cars. Well you would look a lot more divvy with your car facing backwards in a ditch.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Some petrolheads insist that it is divvy to have the traction control turned on in cars. Well you would look a lot more divvy with your car facing backwards in a ditch.

For me it's an aesthetic thing. 'Pie plates' look awful. I wouldn't have the same qualms about using traction control.

I suppose it might have been it was amied solely at winjim, which it wasn't.
It was a general comment regarding that there are some people in today's society that put vanity before common sense. I accept that this is their prerogative and they can do as they see fit.
I cite an example of a female freind of mine. She was complaining about painful feet / calfs. The problem she said was down to her "stupid shoes", which were very high heel boots. When asked why she didn't stop wearing them, she replied that there were really stylish and looked good.

Well that is your choice. It certainly wouldn't be mine.

Yes yes, no need to defend a tease. This isn't life or death stuff. We all know those things are really called Dork Discs. Who the dork is, is just a matter of who's the beholder. Nudge nudge, wink wink. Now where did you say that ESP switch was?

PS: Please tell this non-native what a Divvy is before I inadvertently commit one.

Gixxerman

Guru
For me it's an aesthetic thing. 'Pie plates' look awful. I wouldn't have the same qualms about using traction control.
Ok fair enough. As I say, that is your choice. But I think you have to admit that it does provide a safeguard, in the unlikely but not impossible event, of the chain dropping off the largest sprocket, which we all know shouldn't happen IF the rear mech is adjusted correctly. My chain never has or even hinted at doing so (yet), but I will leave my dork disk on "just in case".

Top Bottom