What have I bought?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamiebysea

Hi all, I was browsing the local classifieds this weekend and came across a Ribble road bike. Zero description regarding spec or size but as it was only down the road I thought I'd invest 20 minutes and go check it out.

So the guy was selling it on behalf of his Dad so didn't know anything about it other than apparently it was 'some kind of special edition and quite expensive when new'. Here's what I can tell;
  • Full Shimano 105 groupset
  • Carbon forks (black blades)
  • Carbon seat stays
  • 30 gears rsi
  • Mavic aksium wheels
  • Abused condition (lots of scratches, missing spokes, bar tape etc).
  • 50cm frame size

Anyway I ended up buying it for £130. At the time of thought this was a good deal - now I'm not so sure.

Questions I have:

1) theres no model name so cant check average cost of used (anyone any ideas?) I guess this is because it was custom build for the original owner, or an unnamed 'special edition'.

2) 50cm frame is small - but so am I - so that's cool. Are the wheels still likely to be 700c? I tried to get official 700c measurements but got confused by all the different systems / conversations. It has mavic aksium wheels and gatorskin tyres and I can't find those for sale in anything other than 700c so guessing it might be - just they seem smaller to me. I have nothing to compare it to - but measured diameter outer edge rim to rim and I'm sure it was 25".

It Cleaned up well, and once I confirm wheel size I'll order some spokes. Hopefully I've not thrown my money away getting overly excited.

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_222018417.jpg
    IMG_20180311_222018417.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20180311_214623125.jpg
    IMG_20180311_214623125.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20180311_214656792.jpg
    IMG_20180311_214656792.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20180311_214708400.jpg
    IMG_20180311_214708400.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20180311_214744801.jpg
    IMG_20180311_214744801.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

arch684

Veteran
The size should be on the tyre 700x25 etc

Alan O

Über Member
... gatorskin tyres and I can't find those for sale in anything other than 700c
I haven't a clue about any of the rest of your questions, but Gatorskins come in different sizes. I don't know the full range, but I have some 27 x 1 1/4 ones and I've also seen 26 inch ones.

AndyRM

XOXO
The frame is a Ribble 7005SL, new that would go for £200.

I suspect the owner has used the bike builder to create the final build, with 105, decent wheels and a bit of carbon bling I'd have thought around £800-900 all in.

It's been in the wars but doesn't look anything more than cosmetic damage so I reckon you've got yourself a bargain!

ETA - £854 was what I built it to.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Selling it on behalf of his dad, hmmm. Did you see the dad or speak to him? Sounds a bit sus.

The bike has been well used. Drive train looks worn. Could cost you about another hundred to get it in fine fettle. Bargain if its Kosher.

OP
OP
J

Jamiebysea

Thanks for all your replies. Really useful!

OK, well that's good - worth investing a bit of time and money in then. I'm pretty sure it's Kosher i.e. it didn't feel uncomfortable or awkward at the time (i.e. didn't meet a guy in a dark park wearing a full length parker - see attached).

I did take a look on the tyres for size but could only find width (25mm) - probably just being blind. Will take another look.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 78

AndyRM

XOXO
RE: The Special Edition thing. I had a look around t'internet and it appears that 'SL' stands for Sloping top tube and was offered as a slightly lighter version of the 'normal' range.

AndyRM

XOXO
It'll be 700x25. Also on my trawl around the internet found comments suggesting that clearances are quite tight, so it may be that you wouldn't be able to fit a 700x28.

OP
OP
J

Jamiebysea

Thank you AndyRM - that's really kind of you.

Yes, 700 written on the tyre. It's incredibly faint where the raised rubber has worn away - but confirms for sure.

Spokes, saddle, bar tape ordered :-)

I did look at how to go about replacing the left gear cable as that's all notched and bent - but couldn't find a way to open up the integrated brake / gear unit. I assume it must be possible! They're the older 105 levers that have the gear cable coming out horizontally from the inner side (5600?)

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
I did look at how to go about replacing the left gear cable as that's all notched and bent - but couldn't find a way to open up the integrated brake / gear unit. I assume it must be possible! They're the older 105 levers that have the gear cable coming out horizontally from the inner side (5600?)
Don't take it apart. IIRC you operate the shifter until it's in top gear, then depress the lever and the cable will push out of the shifter.

OP
OP
J

Jamiebysea

IIRC you operate the shifter until it's in top gear, then depress the lever and the cable will push out of the shifter.

Done! Gear and brake cables / housing replaced, and shifter insides thoroughly cleaned. Can't believe the difference it's super smooth now. When going down a cog on the front it makes a rather loud 'ping' sound - so I imagine a I just need to play with the cable tension (if you strum the cable when it's on the top cog it's in the chord of 'G minor' ;-)

Top Bottom