What have I bought?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guzzi

20200324-132813.jpg
20200324-132820.jpg
20200324-132825.jpg
20200324-132830.jpg
20200324-132838.jpg

My 16 year old son has been borrowing my Vitus and as he is off school for 5 months I've bought him a project. The idea is it will be a stealth commuter for when he starts 6th form. Nice to ride but unapealling to South London Bike Thieves.

So I'm sort of sure it's not a Claud Butler! I can only find one bike with those lugs and I would love it to be that.

The frame has been thickly painted it actually feels like powdercoat I cant find a frame number.

Campag headset and some Dura Ace bits so someone loved it once.

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Veteran
View attachment 510168 View attachment 510169 View attachment 510170 View attachment 510171 View attachment 510172

My 16 year old son has been borrowing my Vitus and as he is off school for 5 months I've bought him a project. The idea is it will be a stealth commuter for when he starts 6th form. Nice to ride but unapealling to South London Bike Thieves.

So I'm sort of sure it's not a Claud Butler! I can only find one bike with those lugs and I would love it to be that.

The frame has been thickly painted it actually feels like powdercoat I cant find a frame number.

Campag headset and some Dura Ace bits so someone loved it once.
Im no expert but l used to have something similar ....Raleigh Carlton. there will be lots of folk on here who will know exactly what the bike is l am sure.
This was mine....
IMG_0800.jpg

OP
OP
G

Guzzi

on-ti-raleigh-team-pro-reynolds-531-frame-features.jpg

I would love it to be one of these for two reasons....my first "Racer" was a Raleigh Europa in TI colours and I was born in Ilkeston.

OP
OP
G

Guzzi

My Mercian was 531c which was a tourer/audax type. I was looking at the geometry which seemed to suggest it was a tourer.

It's got 3 bottle cage mounts and no provision for a front rack which made me think Audax , mind you the forks might not be original.

roley poley

Über Member
the eclipse countryman was called a fast tourer for whatever that means it came with a rear rack. The Reynolds transfers look like a replacement bought after its powder coat .Put it in bike radar to read an old post of them if you choose to.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Nice find & welcome to CC. I like the lugs and seat tube cluster a lot.

The wheelbase, fork rake, chainset inner ring, cassette range, and the spoke count in the rear wheel, to me, don't suggest a touring bike. Maybe more like a 'clubman' as used to be said back in the day, or audax bike, as noted previously. That would explain the 531C frame tubes.

I could be totally wrong, because the rack eyes on the seat stays don't go with 531C.

My older 531db John Perks is a light frame, but does have wide range gearing and a geometry that suggests slow and relaxed. In reality, it handles beautifully and is rapid.

All the best with the project.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Certainly a tourer of some sort but which I don't know.
Nobody would build a tourer from 531 Comp, would they? Unless random transfer application, which is more than possible.
the eclipse countryman was called a fast tourer for whatever that means it came with a rear rack. The Reynolds transfers look like a replacement bought after its powder coat .Put it in bike radar to read an old post of them if you choose to.
It appears to be what we would call a "Sports Tourer" here in the States. Trek built a few in their 600 series in the mid 1980's, also with Reynolds 531. i have also seen Columbus and True-Temper used on such bicycles. Maybe for ride quality over lightness.

OP
OP
G

Guzzi

Carlton.jpg

After a lot of Googeling this is the nearest I can find to the seat stays and lugs so I'm thinking some kind of Carlton?

It's not very original , the wheels are Giant for example, so possibly it gained some braze ons and was repainted.

The bottom bracket is 68mm shell 124mm axle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom