What have us cyclists been saying for ages?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Given the stiff planning regulations for individuals who build I am constantly amazed at the easy ride given to major housebuilders to build in floodzones, build shoddy quality that fails insulation standards, build pokey little shacks that will become the slums of the future. Its like we learned nothing from the hi rise horrors of 1960s except that hi rise is bad.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A new housing development round here reportedly had no pavements... I couldn't decide if it was a good or a bad thing. No pavements means the entire road is a shared use path. The concept removes ownership and there'll be no 'get orf my road' excuse from grumpy drivers. I very much doubt this is what the developer had in mind... they probably discovered they could squeeze in an extra 20 houses by not putting any pavements down.

...and it makes me wonder if the worm is ever so slowly starting to turn?
Given sufficient financial capital and agency, as individuals, we have the power to make choices that put us in active travel friendly places, if you are lucky enough to live in a place that has a strong active travel contingent, you might improve things locally, but waiting for the rest society to catch up and improve things for you... just don't hold your breath. Society time and again falls victim to the progress trap.

Motoring is tightly bound to social status for many. Until we can effectively challenge that notion, change won't happen for reasons elaborated in the wiki page above.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

There's a development near us, on a main A road where they have had to put in a roundabout just to allow homeowners to get out of the estate, there are no shops or schools within 2 miles down main roads with no footpath.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
A new housing development round here reportedly had no pavements... I couldn't decide if it was a good or a bad thing. No pavements means the entire road is a shared use path. The concept removes ownership and there'll be no 'get orf my road' excuse from grumpy drivers. I very much doubt this is what the developer had in mind... they probably discovered they could squeeze in an extra 20 houses by not putting any pavements down.
Problem is those share space routes into which motor vehicles are permitted are useless to the blind and partially sighted. Where such roads exist in residential areas the blind become effectively trapped at home. Very badly executed idea.

tom73

Guru
I did read about a a new estate in leeds just out side the centre that was designed with walking and cycling in mind. Building on current links into the centre. No parking unless you wanted to pay 20 grand each for a underground space. The school to be built as part of it is planned with no parking at all. Council got a bit iffy about a school with no parking but developer held in and won't to change it as it's the whole point you won't need any. Just walk or cycle to it.

Sadly our Council is planning all on green belt a massive 1700 housing deployment inc a school and industrial park. Billed as having active travel in mind it will still have all the normal stuff just with a few "shared paths" thrown in. To top it all off they have now just added to the plan a massive link road to the motorway. :wacko:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Problem is those share space routes into which motor vehicles are permitted are useless to the blind and partially sighted. Where such roads exist in residential areas the blind become effectively trapped at home. Very badly executed idea.
Is it that they are hard for people who can't see well to follow or that there is no refuge from the motorists who still have a "get orf moi road" attitude?

vickster

Legendary Member
I did read about a a new estate in leeds just out side the centre that was designed with walking and cycling in mind. Building on current links into the centre. No parking unless you wanted to pay 20 grand each for a underground space. The school to be built as part of it is planned with no parking at all. Council got a bit iffy about a school with no parking but developer held in and won't to change it as it's the whole point you won't need any. Just walk or cycle to it.
What about the teachers? They may need to drive. Teacher recruitment is already tough I understand so this may just make it harder

vickster

Legendary Member
if it's just outside the centre of a large city like Leeds, then presumably there's ample public transport options available.
True however the teachers may not live that side of the big city and need numerous changes on public transport?
Many are overworked as it is without adding 2-4 hours of commuting to each end of the school day.
Is it a secondary or primary school, how big is it? It may only have half a dozen teachers to attract or it may need dozens. With teachers in short supply, a new school will need to be attractive to staff surely?
I’m not saying it’s a bad thing obviously but hopefully it’s a potential challenge that has been identified and considered :okay:

PK99

Legendary Member
If they've got any sense they'd just move closer to their place of work, or work somewhere closer to where they live. The more initiatives that force people to reconsider their reliance on owning and using a car on a daily basis, the better in my book.

That might work for families with only one breadwinner, two earner families might be in some difficulty!

Are you guilty of making assumptions re traditional family structures?

Top Bottom