What hope is there for cyclists?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by NigC, 30 Apr 2010.

1. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

I once read part of it all the way through. I took my full motorcycle test in preference. It troubles me somewhat that cyclists are relying on this publication when it is not a statement of road traffic law. A lot of it is common sense though.

2. hackbike 666

hackbike 666 Guest

I have read some of it and agree with what you say.

3. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

No but it does tell you situations to watch out for and how to position yourself to prevent some problems happening.

I agree with Crankarm that the law should be changed so that it is closer to the Europeans, and think it would make a difference to how they drove. But most of the general public don't understand it and don't want that change. If one of the parties had it in their manifesto I would vote that for them.

4. skudupnorth

skudupnorth Cycling Skoda lover

To be honest I find driving the car more and more stressful than it used to be nowadays because the same clowns who cause cyclists problems do the same to other car drivers ! The other day I got left hooked on the bike but "luckily" it was in a place that I know this sort of action happens and was sort of expecting an incident.the nice shiny Peugeot now has a nice bar end scratch to remind them not to do it again !

5. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Um, someone said, some pages back, get campaigning. You can get behind the CTC, or your most local campaign, or Sustrans or whoever you happen to believe in most.

You're the one who started the 'doomed' bit.

6. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I don't think cyclists 'rely' on it, any more than they rely on the Highway Code, or the Road traffic Act. They read it, and are able to make better informed choices about their cycling. They don't make it into a papier mache shell, or strap copies to their elbows - that's not how books work.

You once read 'part of it, all the way through'? And did you then think about it and let it shape your riding or did you scoff and assume it couldn't teach you anything?

7. PBancroft

PBancroft Senior Member

I once read part of the Bible all the way through, then got bored and gave up. :biggrin:

8. Jaguar

Jaguar New Member

Me too, after my crash last year I am more nervous in a car than on my bike

My OH is a constant offender: speeding especially. He's had 2 tickets in 6 months, and even though I was hit by a car (driver "didn't see" me) last year, he doesn't change :sad:
    He has an expensive hands-free jobby, and uses the phone constantly because he is bored. His attention is definitely elsewhere when he's on the phone: if he calls me and I know he's driving, I tend to hang up and say I'll talk later.

I have to agree with you. OH is a case in point: he won't use his bike at all, because "it's too dangerous" - probably I don't help because daily I have tales of the twit who cut me up, or chased me, or forced through a gap when I had priority

9. Jaguar

Jaguar New Member

have a Google: I don't have time to check the sources, but one quote is "seven times as many pedestrians are killed each year as cyclists and ...pedestrians have more fatalities per mile of travel than cyclists" http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/risks.htm

10. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

The point is Cyclecraft is not a statement of the law. The RTA, Highway Code and other relevant legislation are.

11. Davidc

Davidc Guru

ONS (Office for National Statistics)

12. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Teh highway code isn't law either. Arch is exactly right, IMO.

13. Davidc

Davidc Guru

Cyclecraft has a lot of good advice in it, and tells you a lot of best practice.

I've read it, and even after 50 years of cycling managed to find some new ideas on how to navigate and survive our roads.

Back to the OP, I'm like a number of the other posters on the thread, I've been cycling for deades, had a few near misses, and come off a few times, but I'm still here. I try to avoid trouble, usually successfully. The worst and most life threatening crashes I've had have been in a car, apart from nearly being run down by a drunk driver when waiting for a bus. Fortunately for me he killed all of a family who were stationary in their car instead.

Of course it looks bad on this and other cycling forums. Every cycling death gets reported - it's worse than the Daily Wail for that. That means that every one of the roughly 250 deaths appears here, two every three days. (Correct my figures if they're not quite right please - didn't re-check them). There were about 2500 road deaths last year, and more of them were pedestrians and drivers than were cyclists, but we generally don't highlight the others.

14. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Congratulations BM you are wrong, again :sad:.

Btw your spelling is slipping as well ........

15. hackbike 666

hackbike 666 Guest

Wash your mouth out.Cyclecraft is the bible.AMEN.:sad:

Nope...no way...I just don't generally read books....just the way I am.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice