What hybrid should I buy - Sirrus or Crosstrail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's time to buy my first bike in 20 years and I have narrowed it down to either a specialized Sirrus or a Specialized Crosstrail, but I can't decide. My plan is to bike about as much street as gravel, but also sometimes on forest trails. It does not necessarily have to go very, very fast, but of course I want it to be fun. I'm not going to commute, but I can add that I live in a town with (too) many steep slopes and I'm 40+ if that means anything regarding the choice. What do you think are the pros / cons of Sirrus vs Crosstail? And what should I choose as a beginner when it comes to version. Is Sport enough or should I choose Elite? At the moment I'm leaning towards the Crosstrail Sport. I would really appreciate some input.

Here are some links to the different bikes. Crosstrail Sport, Crosstrail Elite, Sirrus Sport, Sirrus Elite

I wouldn’t go for any of those.

Not when this is available.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-920-hybrid-bike-id_8405267.html

Without looking at it in detail I'd avoid the extra weight and complexity of suspension unless I was looking for a downhill MtB. Years ago (10+) I had the choice of Sport v Elite and I determined the extra spec of the Elite for a weight penalty wasn't worth it IMO. The difference may have changed since then though :okay:

OP
OP
P

PrimaryPlan

Without looking at it in detail I'd avoid the extra weight and complexity of suspension unless I was looking for a downhill MtB. Years ago (10+) I had the choice of Sport v Elite and I determined the extra spec of the Elite for a weight penalty wasn't worth it IMO. The difference may have changed since then though :okay:
Thanks. It's mainly the extra weight from the suspension that makes me consider the Sirrus instead, but I'm afraid I'll regret it when I'm out there on bumpy roads or the forest trail.

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's hilly avoid the weight of suspension as said, you won't need it for your uses I should think. I'd get a bike with a rigid carbon fork and disc brakes, don't see the benefit of the black Sirrus that justifies the cost.
Does your local bike dealer only sell Specialized. You'll often get better bang for buck from smaller or lesser known brands as suggested.

Go try a few out

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't buy that one either. You can get a 21 speed B'Twin Hoprider 100 for £249 complete with mudguards and rack, and you haven't got the extra weight and maintenance liability of suspension forks. Hybrids don't need suspension, and nor do general purpose MTB's for that matter.

Righto:okay: I can see why you’d want a massively inferior specced bike as well.

OP
OP
P

PrimaryPlan

I wouldn't buy that one either. You can get a 21 speed B'Twin Hoprider 100 for £249 complete with mudguards and rack, and you haven't got the extra weight and maintenance liability of suspension forks. Hybrids don't need suspension, and nor do general purpose MTB's for that matter.
I hope that you're right about the suspension because it's tempting to choose one without it. But the 21 speed B'Twin Hoprider 100 seems a little bit heavy.

Smudge

Veteran
Personally i would go Sirrus Sport, which is obviously better for road and perfectly fine for gravel and canal paths..... Will probably be ok for forest trails as well, but if it isn't, you could go wider tyres or just buy a cheap front sus bike, as a second bike for those uses.
But i seems that the vast majority of the time, the rigid fork of the Sirrus will be the best for you.

alicat

Legendary Member
Bumpy roads don't require suspension forks. Forest trails only do if getting quite technical. You would be surprised what you can manage if you move with the bike a little.

OP
OP
P

PrimaryPlan

If it's hilly avoid the weight of suspension as said, you won't need it for your uses I should think. I'd get a bike with a rigid carbon fork and disc brakes, don't see the benefit of the black Sirrus that justifies the cost.
Does your local bike dealer only sell Specialized. You'll often get better bang for buck from smaller or lesser known brands as suggested.

Go try a few out
Ok, thanks. Sounds like I should choose the Sirrus Sport if I don't find something in another brand. The local dealer do have other brands but they are all in the same price range when comparing components, and so far I do like the Specialized the most. And I really prefer buying from the local dealer instead of buying online.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok, thanks. Sounds like I should choose the Sirrus Sport if I don't find something in another brand. The local dealer do have other brands but they are all in the same price range when comparing components, and so far I do like the Specialized the most. And I really prefer buying from the local dealer instead of buying online.
Ask them to let you have a decent testride

Top Bottom