What hybrid should I buy - Sirrus or Crosstrail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

PrimaryPlan

Personally i would go Sirrus Sport, which is obviously better for road and perfectly fine for gravel and canal paths..... Will probably be ok for forest trails as well, but if it isn't, you could go wider tyres or just buy a cheap front sus bike, as a second bike for those uses.
But i seems that the vast majority of the time, the rigid fork of the Sirrus will be the best for you.

Bumpy roads don't require suspension forks. Forest trails only do if getting quite technical. You would be surprised what you can manage if you move with the bike a little.

I'm getting convinced to choose a bike without suspension fork. Probably the Sirrus Sport or something equal. Thank you for your comments.

OP
OP
P

PrimaryPlan

Just a follow-up question to make sure I'm on the right track. I think I will mostly bike on asphalt and gravel, but I would like to ride sometimes on forest trails. Do I make a mistake if I choose a hybrid instead of for example a mtb 29er?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just a follow-up question to make sure I'm on the right track. I think I will mostly bike on asphalt and gravel, but I would like to ride sometimes on forest trails. Do I make a mistake if I choose a hybrid instead of for example a mtb 29er?
Not if you’re riding on the road primarily. A hybrid isn’t designed to be ridden on true MTB terrain. You have a healthy budget, if you want ride roads and MTB, you could get two second hand (likely lightly used) bikes for your £900

Broadside

Guru
From the sounds of what you will be doing the Sirrus is a better bet. I’m a road rider normally but I’ve got a Crosstrail for riding with my kids, it is quite a heavy bike but pretty capable on technical off-road, I’m talking about fast downhill with a compression at the bottom, that sort of thing where the suspension fork pays off.

For canal and gravel paths the Sirrus would be fine so long as you have some wide tyres on there (over 35c). If I were buying again I wouldn’t get a suspension fork unless I was buying a pure MTB.

OP
OP
P

PrimaryPlan

Not if you’re riding on the road primarily. A hybrid isn’t designed to be ridden on true MTB terrain. You have a healthy budget, if you want ride roads and MTB, you could get two second hand (likely lightly used) bikes for your £900
Thanks. That's what I needed to hear ^_^

OP
OP
P

PrimaryPlan

For canal and gravel paths the Sirrus would be fine so long as you have some wide tyres on there (over 35c). If I were buying again I wouldn’t get a suspension fork unless I was buying a pure MTB.
Thank you. Now I feel secure in choosing the bike without suspension :okay:.

tudor_77

Über Member
I would go for the Crosstrail, no competition. The front suspension won't add much to the weight and it will be far more versatile than the sirrus which is basically just a flat bar road bike and very uncomfortable off road, even. The wouldn't be any noticeable difference in speed between the two so why limit yourself with the sirrus?

I have owned quite a few crosstrail style hybrids, including two Giant Roams and (currently) a Cube Nature. Best bikes I have ever owned and I choose the hybrid over my carbon road bikes 90% of the time because the added benefit of comfort and versatility (not to mention fun) outweighs the extremely slight and barely perceptible speed advantage of a carbon road bike with rigid forks.

I would vote for crosstrail, you definitely won't regret it.

OP
OP
P

PrimaryPlan

Then I might have made a mistake now, but I really don't hope so because I have been to the bike shop today and ordered a Sirrus Sport that I will receive in a week or two. Feels great. Thank you all very much for your help.

tom73

Guru
If it feels like the best bike to you and will put s smile on your face when you use it. You’ve made the right choice. If you like and it fit’s that’s all really matters.

Once you get hold of it go , ride and enjoy.

OP
OP
P

PrimaryPlan

If it feels like the best bike to you and will put s smile on your face when you use it. You’ve made the right choice. If you like and it fit’s that’s all really matters.

Once you get hold of it go , ride and enjoy.
Thanks. I'll do that ^_^

alicat

Legendary Member
For what it's worth, I think you've made the right choice.

Let us know how you're getting on with it once it arrives. ^_^

tudor_77

Über Member
There is definitely an element of subjectivity to bikes and how they ride. Some of us love crosstrail style hybrids, others hate them. The important thing is how your bike feels to you and the sirrus is a great bike so just get out and enjoy it! :smile:

Sixmile

Veteran
Only seeing this now. I've a 2014 Crosstrail and it's just about ok. I didn't have much of an idea of what I was looking for at the time apart from disc brakes, front suspension and able to pull a trailer and stop. I've put near 6,000 miles on the bike and have ridden it through the last two winters. There's very little on the bike that hasn't been replaced, actually the frame may be the only original piece left! In short though, if I was buying again I wouldn't go with the Crosstrail, I wouldn't go with front suspension and I wouldn't bother with disc brakes unless they were hydraulic. Now though it's my jack of all trades bike.

Top Bottom