What Hybrid to get???????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xlr177

First off hello all, I am new to the forum and my first question is what hybrid to get? I have allowed a maximum of £600 for a bike, I have been looking at a few, but always seem to end up looking at the same one, The Dawes Discovery 501, it will be mainly used on tarmac and for getting fit, I do not like plodding along so thought the 501 fitted the bill as it is a hybrid aimed more towards it roadbike brothers, I am not 100% set on the 501 so please give me your thoughts.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got a Dawes Discovery 501, the 2008 model, and I'm quite fond of it. I didn't look at many alternatives when I bought it about a year ago, but there are loads of others of a similar specification that other people seem to like. For what it's worth, my advice is that the disk brakes on the current model are not needed for commuting ( the 2008 model doesn't have them). Whatever bike you look at, get a previous year's model and save a load of money. Also, get down to a bike shop and try a few out before you buy. Also, get thinnish tyres. Don't worry too much about the bike's weight. A rack, panniers and decent lock, plus the toolkit etc add a whole lot anyway, so getting obsessive about that is not very sensible, IMVVHO.

Good luck.....and welcome to these parts.

OP
OP
X

xlr177

I really like the 501, the build quality just seemed a lot better than any thing else I looked at, but like you say I need to go and have a ride on a few. I know the 2009 model is hard to come by now, I have seen them online for as little as £450, evans still has them but at £600 which is still not bad.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sorry, I forgot to mention the cost of all the rest...

The bike cost me £450.

The lights, mudguards, rack, panniers, batteries and charger, gloves, helmet, tools, waterproof jacket, overtrousers, shorts, computer, track pump, and all the little bits and bobs that I pretend I never bought probably cost me another £400, and I was doing that vaguely on the cheap.

Be warned!:becool:

bauldbairn

There's the Specialized Sirrus Sport/Elite for between £500 - £650 and don't forget about the Boardman Comp/Team also between £500 - £650. All Hybrids worthy of consideration in my opinion.

OP
OP
X

xlr177

well I finally decided on a bike and ordered it yesterday, I went for the Dawes discovery 501 2009 model, so thanks for the input people.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Have a look at the Norco's as well.

Top Bottom