What Hybrid to get???????

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by xlr177, 24 Apr 2010.

1. xlr177

xlr177 New Member

First off hello all, I am new to the forum and my first question is what hybrid to get? I have allowed a maximum of £600 for a bike, I have been looking at a few, but always seem to end up looking at the same one, The Dawes Discovery 501, it will be mainly used on tarmac and for getting fit, I do not like plodding along so thought the 501 fitted the bill as it is a hybrid aimed more towards it roadbike brothers, I am not 100% set on the 501 so please give me your thoughts.

2. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

I've got a Dawes Discovery 501, the 2008 model, and I'm quite fond of it. I didn't look at many alternatives when I bought it about a year ago, but there are loads of others of a similar specification that other people seem to like. For what it's worth, my advice is that the disk brakes on the current model are not needed for commuting ( the 2008 model doesn't have them). Whatever bike you look at, get a previous year's model and save a load of money. Also, get down to a bike shop and try a few out before you buy. Also, get thinnish tyres. Don't worry too much about the bike's weight. A rack, panniers and decent lock, plus the toolkit etc add a whole lot anyway, so getting obsessive about that is not very sensible, IMVVHO.

Good luck.....and welcome to these parts.

3. OP
    OP
    xlr177

xlr177 New Member

I really like the 501, the build quality just seemed a lot better than any thing else I looked at, but like you say I need to go and have a ride on a few. I know the 2009 model is hard to come by now, I have seen them online for as little as £450, evans still has them but at £600 which is still not bad.

4. slowmotion

Sorry, I forgot to mention the cost of all the rest...

The bike cost me £450.

The lights, mudguards, rack, panniers, batteries and charger, gloves, helmet, tools, waterproof jacket, overtrousers, shorts, computer, track pump, and all the little bits and bobs that I pretend I never bought probably cost me another £400, and I was doing that vaguely on the cheap.

Be warned!:becool:

5. bauldbairn

bauldbairn New Member

There's the Specialized Sirrus Sport/Elite for between £500 - £650 and don't forget about the Boardman Comp/Team also between £500 - £650. All Hybrids worthy of consideration in my opinion.

6. OP
    OP
    xlr177

xlr177 New Member

well I finally decided on a bike and ordered it yesterday, I went for the Dawes discovery 501 2009 model, so thanks for the input people.

7. slowmotion

Have a whole load of fun...:wacko:

8. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

Have fun with it. A mate of mine has a 401 and it looks a tidy well made bike.

9. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice