What I can see in my NS truck mirrors.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A video on Youtube of what a lorry can see turning left. I have posted this before somewhere.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzL0Kyk4m-8

Aww no; not this video again! It's been posted a couple of times before.
It's misleading because:
1. Mirrors are badly adjusted to exaggerate effect. (They show too much of the side of the cab).
2. Lorry is parked at an angle, again to exaggerate the effect.
3. It doesn't show that there is another mirror, along the top of the passenger side window, which would show at least the front cyclist.
4. Worst of all, camera is at the height where the drivers belly would be! From eye level he would be able to see the top of the front few cyclists without the use of any mirrors.

Edit: Yes it is a good idea to inform people of the dangers and in that respect the video is worthwhile, but it IS misleading.

Last edited:

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 2651503, member: 30090"]Maybe not directly perhaps.[/quote]
You think drivers would carry on crushing pedestrians even if it wasn't cheaper? Why?

Lance Jack

Über Member
Aww no; not this video again! It's been posted a couple of times before.
It's misleading because:
1. Mirrors are badly adjusted to exaggerate effect. (They show too much of the side of the cab).
2. Lorry is parked at an angle, again to exaggerate the effect.
3. It doesn't show that there is another mirror, along the top of the passenger side window, which would show at least the front cyclist.
4. Worst of all, camera is at the height where the drivers belly would be! From eye level he would be able to see the top of the front few cyclists without the use of any mirrors.

Edit: Yes it is a good idea to inform people of the dangers and in that respect the video is worthwhile, but it IS misleading.
As you say, it is a good idea to inform people, that is cyclists and new LGV learner drivers, what a driver would see from his cab. But, to be honest, how many on here would cycle up the near side of that lorry? Straddling the centre white line, tractor unit angled to turn left and the wheels at an even greater angle to take the whole thing left. So I put the link on here but I feel like I am preaching to the converted. The people who need to know are the ones who have no interest in cycling apart from they get on a bike to get somewhere.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
What i can see from a Volvo B9TL2
IMG_20130921_165828_zps747df3f0.jpg

IMG_20130921_165745_zps258a60f8.jpg

Top Bottom