What I can see in my NS truck mirrors.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I, for my sins, drive a truck for a living. (Someone has to deliver beer, cider and cake to supermarkets, so it might as well be me!)
As we all love trucks and their drivers, I thought it might be of interest to some of you to see what can be seen in the 4 nearside mirrors, hence a pic I took whilst stationary today. I am in the middle lane of three, waiting at a red traffic light.

NS-mirrors.jpg

The pic is taken at my eye level, so this is a fair representation of what is visible from a DAF CF.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks for posting that. If your truck is pointing straight ahead, are there any blind spots on the nearside that can't be eliminated by the usual leaning forward etc that car drivers use?

Milzy

Guru
Its not too bad. Plus even if it didn't have blind spots, I'd still not go near in case the driver didn't look. Everyone needs to be aware of the left turn wipe out situation.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Im on a bike, it's bigger than me, it will hurt me if it hits me, steer clear and give it loads of room. No brainer for me.

Unfortunately, 'no brain' is an accurate description of a large proportion of road users of all types, and that includes the vulnerable ones.

I'd like to see this stuff taught in schools, to get the message in early. And then if and when people learn to drive, I'd like to see compulsory Large Vehicle sessions where they sit in a cab at the very least, and preferably have to drive something big round a track to understand the dynamics of turning corners etc.

Some people will always take risks, they think they are immortal, but I think some just haven't the imagination to see what can happen. Better education can help the latter.

We were watching a thing about the history of the crash test dummy last night, and there was some footage NT remembers seeing, the one of a loose 'child' careering forwards through a windscreen which helped to show how important restraints were. Maybe we need some graphic recreations made, and broadcast as public information.

Noodley

Should lorries not have compulsory 360 degree cameras fitted rather than others having to make the changes and "be aware"?

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Should lorries not have compulsory 360 degree cameras fitted rather than others having to make the changes and "be aware"?

You can add every device going but the driver still only has one pair of eyes. When your checking 5,6,7 mirrors rear camera making sure some muppet isn't walking across the front of your lorry checking cyclists motor cyclists impatient car drivers arnt over taking or under taking you. Combine all that lot with changing gear every 10 ft just to get the thing going.

Adding more and more may sound good but there is a limit to how much our small trucker brains can process at any one time. I like to think I'm a conscience driver but I'm a human I can make a mistake just like anyone else. Just my opinion btw.

Arch

Married to Night Train

You find the human being who can simultaneously monitor 360 degrees of vision, and you have a point.

Even with just four mirrors, in the time it takes to check (and properly see the contents of) all of them, someone can have sneaked into the view of the first one.

Alternatively, ban HGVs from cities - I'd certainly be in favour of reducing the numbers of them - so many lorries and vans in York are delivering one pallet or a couple of boxes, which could be brought in by loadbike from hubs outside the centre. Of course, then you still have buses to deal with. And it's difficult to replace construction vehicles, which I gather are the main problem in London.

EVERYONE should be careful. Drivers, cyclists, pedestrians. We should all take responsibility for our own, and other people's safety.

D

Deleted member 23692

I've not driven HGVs but do drive LGVs and I do have sympathy for the wagon drivers. Even in a van, I've had two-wheeled fecknuggets squeezing down the nearside on numerous occasions, even folding my mirror in to do so.

These days, at junctions and lights etc, I pull up close to the kerb (especially if I'm turning l left) to stop them being so bloody stupid. This has even provoked some panel slapping anger from the self righteous cyclist, but in their misguided infallibility they fail to realise actually I'm being responsible for their actions... which is what to the eejits seem to want me to do.

From an early age I was told there are two sides on a lorry - the offside and the 'sui-side'. I'll never go down the inside and I'll do what little I can to stop others doing the same.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Ahh hello fellow Morrisons driver :hello: I drive a Volvo in the same colour :thumbsup:

I wondered if there were more of us around!! :hello:
I'll PM you when I get 5 mins. Off for a ride in a min, then work @ 14:00 :sad:
Maybe you could post a pic of the NS view from a Volvo to show the difference..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, a bit more can be seen by leaning forward, up, down etc, and also by checking the two offside mirrors obviously.
A 360 camera wouldn't be easy, and possibly illegal as it would involve looking at a screen/monitor.
Pedestrians, cyclists, car drivers, and even other truck drivers on occasion, try to squeeze into stupid spaces beside HGV's. My job is to avoid them.

I also use a forward facing camera on the windscreen to capture idiotic driving and overtaking. This is to use as evidence should I need it.

Top Bottom