What I have learned after week 1 of commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@stalagmike your findings are so right , i will also add that i find using a road bike for cyclepath commuting not great as the amount of time i have to dive of the path on to the surrounding grass to avoid dog's , walkers , debris and all the other hazards that crop up hence why i normally use my old Marin mtb

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@stalagmike your findings are so right , i will also add that i find using a road bike for cyclepath commuting not great as the amount of time i have to dive of the path on to the surrounding grass to avoid dog's , walkers , debris and all the other hazards that crop up hence why i normally use my old Marin mtb
The annoying thing is that the Redways used to be good enough for road bikes (I used to commute on them by road bike in the 90s) but a mix of bad surfaces and vegetation encroachment (increasing conflict with dog walkers and so on) has made that less so on my recent visit. :cursing:

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
The annoying thing is that the Redways used to be good enough for road bikes (I used to commute on them by road bike in the 90s) but a mix of bad surfaces and vegetation encroachment (increasing conflict with dog walkers and so on) has made that less so on my recent visit. :cursing:
Yes. They are not as flat and smooth as they could be. But then the council can't afford to mend the potholes in their roads so I don't hold out much hope for the redways.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes. They are not as flat and smooth as they could be. But then the council can't afford to mend the potholes in their roads so I don't hold out much hope for the redways.
Only because they've got their priorities wrong! Each car does thousands of times the damage of a bike, so they could resurface redways on a much longer interval and they'd stay smooth, but there's a heck of a lot which haven't been touched since they were built, while most grid roads get done every decade. We need a tiny fraction of the maintenance budget but we don't even get that - it all goes to the greedy!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Once you have your commuting routine worked out it becomes pretty slick. You might also want to vary the route a little. Maybe a longer red way is quieter. Maybe it is quieter 30 mins earlier. Maybe 30 mins later etc.

I run 32mm on my road bike, basically what my 80's racer had 27" x 1 1/4". The difference it has made to comfort after having a road bike that forced narrow high pressure tyres; is fantastic. No loss of speed and far less vibration and surface defects being transmitted to my hands.

Grievesy

Things I've learned on the commute is even if you wear high vis clothing, it's no guarantee drivers see you on the road. and when you commute on the cycle path when it's dark, there is a surprising number of dog walkers who wear all black and are invisible until 20 feet away (no street lights) and they quite like to let dogs off leads as it's "quiet at this time of the morning". had to park my bike up several dogs arses or between their ribs as they just suddenly turn into me or "chase me" too early. and I'm a dog lover too, just irresponsible owners.

This was a much bigger problem when I was on my Hybrid Carrera Crossfire 2, but since I've traded up to my Cube Attempt, the rear wheel clicks when you are not peddling, so I tend to stop pedaling as soon as I see them and the clicking gives them some form of heads up I am coming.

Rarely get a good attempt to beat my commute PB in the mornings, but it's still minutes faster than the Hybrid.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to sing to myself when riding the redway at night - it used to keep my morale up, and let people know that a looney was coming and they should move aside.

Last edited:
Good morning,

At the risk of being subject to much scorn and doubts about my sanity :crazy: I have had good results with Sports Direct cycling jerseys and shorts.

For the price and for shortish journeys where breath-ability is not that important they are great value for money, sure by absolute standards they are not that good but just doing the sums in my head my older SD stuff has cost around 1p per ride for shorts and jersey (each) and are as good as they were when they was new.

For longer or harder riding they fare less well as them seem to trap sweat!

Bye

Ian

What I learnt after a week of commuting is to sort out a safer, more pleasant route. Time spend exploring and navigating the route is rarely wasted.
Always carry waterproofs (top and bottoms) unless you are in an extended drought. You will forget them when needed.
Gloves are just as essential as helmets if you are into personal protective equipment.

My commuting bike has evolved from generous clearance road bike hack, to grab and go, urban convenience bike complete with dynamo lights, disk brakes, 8 speed hub gears and 1.9" slick tyres.

Don't forget they are always out to get you so never let your attention to traffic drop or leave your bike unlocked .

Top Bottom