What implications for cycling following the election?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User269

What effect will the outcome of the general election have on cycling?
Did you read anything in any of the manifestos that mentioned cycling?

Yeah, I'll be cycling with a big grin on my face when I think about that losing nobber in Thanet.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
at least there's less likely to be money spent on cycle lanes -

I'm of the persuasion that cycle lanes make journeys slower, more dangerous and less convenient and are thus "a bad thing". I do accept that there may exist some good ones, at.least in theory, but i've not seen them

Drago

Legendary Member
No council money to fill the pot holes or switch on the street lighting, and another 5 years of PCCs to muff up the police even more than mere budget cuts.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://cycle.travel/news/what_do_the_party_manifestos_say_about_cycling was a summary written by @Richard Fairhurst.

Perhaps surprisingly, the Conservative manifesto has slightly more concrete commitments on cycling than the Labour one. But the £200m investment promised is still very small change compared to the overall transport budget, which envisages £38bn on the railways and £15bn on roads. It says:

“We will make motoring greener and promote cycling, to protect your environment Our aim is for almost every car and van to be a zero emission vehicle by 2050 – and we will invest £500 million over the next five years to achieve it. We want to double the number of journeys made by bicycle and will invest over £200 million to make cycling safer, so we reduce the number of cyclists and other road users killed or injured on our roads every year.”

screenman

Legendary Member
Mechanic is on £11 an hour, the costs of staff wages is a long way down the overheads list. Also I do not think £1 in every £7 paid for a car repair goes towards staff pensions.

S

I know of plenty of people working of pretending too in those trades, none of them are in a rush to leave. There is certainly room to save money in those services from what I see.

Whilst I acknowledge you are famously anti-police (though doubtless you will shortly give the "I have a black friend" style argument), I will simply say the following then let it sit.

Six years ago, if I was at a job and asked for an ambulance, it was with me in about five minutes on average (usually quicker). Today, my longest wait so far has been just shy of two hours, and if it turns up in under half an hour is amazing.

Their response times seem to have been hit harder than ours.

Six years ago, there were 45 officers on my shift. Our 'set target' was to be at blue light incidents within 10 minutes, and we rarely missed that.

Today, we have a shift of 19 officers for the same area. Blue light response times were raised to fifteen minutes to try and improve 'the figures'. We regularly miss them, and there quite simply isn't an officer to send.

/leaves thread.

Top Bottom