What implications for cycling following the election?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Loads of 'em. Just not in this country.

at risk of thread de-rail
Just wondering, but are the Amsterdam cycle lanes, which are indeed better than here, really a help to cyclists or just a way for Dutch Mr Toad to get those pesky cyclists off the road - especially as there's so many of 'em - and they don't wear helmets, carry passengers and don't pay any effin' canal tax nor nuffink.

. I'd not really considered this before, and just accepted the Dutch model on trust as being better - but there were a lot of bikes squeezed into the bike lanes and mixing it with pedestrians -I saw 2 hit-(uninjured) over 3 days. Maybe a lot easier to have the whole road instead - and cyclists being at Amsterdam numbers - cars would just have to wait.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mechanic is on £11 an hour, the costs of staff wages is a long way down the overheads list. Also I do not think £1 in every £7 paid for a car repair goes towards staff pensions.
what are they doing with the 70 sheets an hour plus vat then? It's hardly the customers fault, that money spent doesn't percolate down to the workforce, is it? There isn't a sector or industry that isn't fornicating someone over somewhere, and the industry you work in is among the worst so perhaps you might want to think before airing your opinion about value for money in the public service. The fact that you're daft enough to do it for 11 quid an hour is down to you, not the dibble or trumpton.

at risk of thread de-rail
Just wondering, but are the Amsterdam cycle lanes, which are indeed better than here, really a help to cyclists or just a way for Dutch Mr Toad to get those pesky cyclists off the road

A bit of both - It enables a bicycle to be a primary form of transport - just need to see relatively young kids riding what would seem to the average UKer stupid distances to and from school to see that it works - at the same time reduces the traffic on the road keeps the traffic flowing better

Dan B

Disengaged member
Julian Huppert's lost his seat (possibly the only Lib Dem loss that's actually, y'know, a loss) which is really not a great result for cycling - or technology, or science

Last edited:

Falco Frank

Über Member
To lighten the mood, id forgot about this:

Cycling
Before becoming prime minister, Cameron regularly used his bicycle to commute to work. In early 2006, he was photographed cycling to work, followed by his driver in a car carrying his belongings. His Conservative Party spokesperson subsequently said that this was a regular arrangement for Cameron at the time.[285] Cameron's bicycle was stolen in July 2008 while he was shopping; it was recovered a few days later with the aid of The Sunday Mirror.[286] His bicycle was stolen again in May 2009 from near his house.[287] Cameron is an occasional jogger and in 2009 raised funds for charities by taking part in the Oxford 5K and the Great Brook Run.[288]

byegad

Legendary Member
Well a previous Tory administration was keen on cycling. Norman Tebbit wanted all of the unemployed on their bikes for a start.

byegad

Legendary Member
With Boris Johnston now back as a MP that could also be a plus for the cycling community.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm! Boris playing the fool, just what the country needs to get out of the situation we're in. Are you proposing we hire him out as village idiot at £100/hr?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
London commuters may be well advised to look out for lost Scots cyclists around Westminster for a while until they get to know the roads.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Erm! Boris playing the fool, just what the country needs to get out of the situation we're in. Are you proposing we hire him out as village idiot at £100/hr?
I'd be surprised if that was more than 40% of his usual rate

screenman

Legendary Member
Drago, the benefits you have with your career choice is not having to manage business overheads. Body repair shops currently run at .07% profit if they make any at all. Carcraft just gone under, manufacturers insisting on eye watering expenditure on show rooms and workshops, £40,000 a year insurance, £50,000 a year rates and the list goes on.

I am not blaming plod, just that you cannot convince me they have not got and had it good, if it was not there would be a shortage of applications for the job as one.

As for hourly rate, a policeman on the beat would cost more I would imagine.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3686356, member: 259"]Children, you have five minutes to detail all the things that are wrong with this photo.

Cameron+cyclist.jpg
[/QUOTE]
He's pumped himself up but not the tyres?

Attachments

• Cameron+cyclist.jpg
    Cameron+cyclist.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 11

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
[QUOTE 3686356, member: 259"]Children, you have five minutes to detail all the things that are wrong with this photo.

Cameron+cyclist.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Main problem is there's a **** in it.

Attachments

• Cameron+cyclist.jpg
    Cameron+cyclist.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom