What inner tubes do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sionhughes

arch684

Veteran
It should tell you on your tyres

vickster

Legendary Member
What width are the tyres? As arch says, look for something like 700x ?? On the sidewall

The bike presumably has the skinnier presta valves? I'd get long valve ones. Halfords do 5 tubes for a tenner

Don't forget to carry a good pump too and make sure you know if works before venturing out. Most can be frame mounted

sidevalve

Über Member
Either - whichever is in you local Halfords. The variation is because tubes will expand to fit slightly larger tyre sizes.
PS - don't forget to check online as there are some good deals available on tubes.

vickster

Legendary Member
On an entry level bike, the tyres are usually quite poor. You might want to save up for tyres with better puncture protection if you are going to be using the bike regularly, for commuting, on crappy roads etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Schwalbe marathon plus, don't roll too fast but rarely puncture

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-ma...ccoSYFmQ_dt|pcrid||pkw||pmt||prd|5360646512uk

You might look at putting a 35mm on (so buy the narrower tubes) if road riding

Regarding innner tubes, they are much of a muchness. I'm quite happy with the halfords ones, and I've used specialized and Schwalbe too (and wilkinsons which admittedly are rubbish). Spend the extra money in the tyres, so you don't need to change them tubes so often

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've had more punctures than you'd care for on cheap 'Halfords' brand tubes - three in two miles once on my folding bike! Eventually learned my lesson and only buy decent quality tubes now. The old adage is true - you only get what you pay for.

OP
OP
sionhughes

sionhughes

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will get myself some inner tubes now I know the right size and will add new tyres to my wish list going forward! After some clipless shoes first though! Thank you again!

arch684

Veteran
Thanks for the advice everyone. Will get myself some inner tubes now I know the right size and will add new tyres to my wish list going forward! After some clipless shoes first though! Thank you again!
If your going clipless make sure you practice unclipping before you go out on the road

vickster

Legendary Member
I've had more punctures than you'd care for on cheap 'Halfords' brand tubes - three in two miles once on my folding bike! Eventually learned my lesson and only buy decent quality tubes now. The old adage is true - you only get what you pay for.
I'd say it's more down to the tyres. I've had few punctures, but on a range of tubes

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Good deals to be had on shoes at Go Outdoors at the mo but I'd be changing the tyres and tubes first. Tyres are not wildly expensive in the grand scheme of things. Have you had a look at Wiggle? you get a bag of haribo with every order.

Top Bottom