What insurance do I need ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
please can anyone advise on the type of insurance that I need please or indeed if I need any at all ? Really new to cycling well keen cycling anyway only really a couple of weeks in & really enjoying myself so something that I intend to do more of & to get involved with a few events / sportives etc throughout this year .

Whilst I was out today & cycling through a small village 20-25mph I thought that I don't want to be hitting anyone / anything at this speed as damage will be inevitable .

I found a sticky thread in here regarding insurance & it seemed best to join a club & that would in turn include insurance , is there a club that everyone joins or is there another way ?

Apologies for the dumb question just that I want to do things the best / easiest way possible to start

Thanks for reading

vickster

Legendary Member
Third party and legal cover advised

Can get from British Cycling, CTC or London Cycling Campaign. Wiggle also offer. Compare the benefits and choose based on which meets your needs and to some extent your views on the policies and activism of each organisation

BC gets you 10% off at Halfords also.

You might find your home insurance legal cover may provide some level of support too, read the Ts & Cs

Being new to cycling, get hold of Cyclecraft to read as well
http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Third party and legal cover advised

Can get from British Cycling, CTC or London Cycling Campaign. Wiggle also offer. Compare the benefits and choose based on which meets your needs and to some extent your views on the politics and activism of each organisation

BC gets you 10% off at Halfords also.

You might find your home insurance legal cover may provide some level of support too, read the Ts & Cs

Being new to cycling, get hold of Cyclecraft to read as well
http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk

As well as 10% off everything at Halfords (including non-bike stuff), British Cycling membership also gets you 10% off at Evans Cycles and Chain Reaction - I've had considerably more than my membership fees in discounts so it pays for itself.

But look at the different options, what works for me might not be what you're looking for.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got a bit of a downer on BC at the moment...well on the solicitors they use...but that isn't to say they aren't worth looking at!

When did the Evans discount start...thought it was only on the entry fees for their sportives

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Third Party and Legal, probably as part of your household insurance for pennies. I won't join BC because of their malign influence on charity rides excluding e bikes, recumbent bikes and anyone without a hard hat. I'm less cross with CTC/CUK/whatever-it'll-be-next-year but it doesn't offer much over household insurance.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got a bit of a downer on BC at the moment...well on the solicitors they use...but that isn't to say they aren't worth looking at!

When did the Evans discount start...thought it was only on the entry fees for their sportives

Not sure - I was in the Leeds city centre branch the other week and asked if they gave any discount and the guy on the till said they did - but it's only on stuff that isn't on promotion / already reduced, unlike Halfords where it's off everything (even price match stuff).

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure - I was in the Leeds city centre branch the other week and asked if they gave any discount and the guy on the till said they did - but it's only on stuff that isn't on promotion / already reduced, unlike Halfords where it's off everything (even price match stuff).
There's nothing on the Evans or BC website which is odd

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Do you not need to be a member of BC to do sportives ? I know a condition for me to do ride london i had to be a member but that was a club placing . I guess you also don't need a race licence for sportives ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you not need to be a member of BC to do sportives ? I know a condition for me to do ride london i had to be a member but that was a club placing . I guess you also don't need a race licence for sportives ?
No, my RL buddy is not a member of any cycling org

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I found a sticky thread in here regarding insurance & it seemed best to join a club & that would in turn include insurance , is there a club that everyone joins or is there another way ?

If you want join a local club, you can check out some options here.
The club will also offer regular rides, friendship and advice.

vickster

Legendary Member
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/thirdpartyliability
A cording to that link:
The one member against another exclusion only applies in races, time trials or timed events (ie ? Sportives)
Yes, seems to be...(1) Typically, but not exclusively, a Sportive or other such organised mass participation event where times are recorded.
However, on the legal cover page...

What is not covered?
Unfortunately, the British Cycling Incident Helpline and British Cycling’s solicitors will not support a legal action:

• against another British Cycling member.
  • against a member of one’s immediate family.
  • where there is a conflict of interest between a member and British Cycling eg where a claim may be against an organiser or official of a British Cycling registered event (1)
  • involving product liability issues such as faulty bikes or equipment.
  • where the incident takes place outside of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands (see below for information on assistance available if you are involved in an incident abroad).
  • where membership was not current at the time of the incident. (2)
  • where the incident involves a Ride member taking part in a competitive race or time trial.

Top Bottom