What insurance do I need ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Whilst not wishing to suggest that insurance is a bad thing, there is no legal requirement to have any type of insurance to cycle on the road.

Over 30 years and have never had insurance, except what may be covered on my house insurance which is worth checking for 3rd party liabilities.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Whilst not wishing to suggest that insurance is a bad thing, there is no legal requirement to have any type of insurance to cycle on the road.

You're quite right - but with car door mirrors (for example) now costing well north of £300 to replace, I'm quite happy to cover the potential consequences of a momentary slip on my behalf with insurance as part of my BC membership, which costs me nothing given the discounts I get.
It's your call, but it makes sense to me.

simon.r

Person
You're quite right - but with car door mirrors (for example) now costing well north of £300 to replace, I'm quite happy to cover the potential consequences of a momentary slip on my behalf with insurance as part of my BC membership, which costs me nothing given the discounts I get.
It's your call, but it makes sense to me.

I agree (I have insurance through BC as well), but just wanted to be clear so anyone reading this thread didn't get the impression that it was a requirement.

sidevalve

Über Member
3rd party is sensible - everybody cam make a mistake and people are only too ready to claim these days [and no I'm not talking big bad motorists here - although they too have a right to be recompensed if you damage their property] the BIG danger is if you cause injury to a pedestrian. How about if you leave the bike outside a shop and someone falls over it ? For the price of a couple of inner tubes is it really worth the risk ?

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Thanks all for the input ..

Think I'll join the BC should do me for what I require

Thank you

PK99

Legendary Member

A CTC colleague was injured on a ride (broken hip) as a result of dangerous/negligent behaviour by another rider. Fortunately, the CTC insurance stumped up the £30+k damages he was awarded.

Legal requirement or no, ride without insurance and you could lose your house.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Legal requirement or no, ride without insurance and you could lose your house.
Also possible if you walk anywhere or do almost anything, which is why many mortgage companies require you to keep buildings insurance with third party insurance: they don't want someone else getting your house ;)

Top Bottom