What is a good top speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
167.044 mph if you're good at drafting :thumbsup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Rompelberg

PpPete

Legendary Member
There's a hill near me on which 40+ mph is possible and reasonably safe.
If you really gun it, with a following wind, you can hold it past the start of the 40 mph speed limit zone at the bottom too. Well it amuses my 11 y.o. tandem stoker when we break that speed limit - he was 9 when we first managed it.
It is a lot harder on a solo bike.

But it's pretty irrelevant, better to rest your legs on the downhill and focus on keeping the average speed for the whole ride up as high as possible.

Without wanting to burst any bubbles, Strava top speeds can be wildly inaccurate. Not suggesting that you didn't hit 39mph, but I would expect a fairly big hill to be involved.

That said, I find Strava reasonably accurate as an overall average speed.

For top speed measurement, bike computer every time.
This tends to stop once you have a speed sensor.
When you get to my age anything over 10 mph is fast :sad:
Especially averages.
I have in the past touched 40mph, but more recently 34.9mph.

31mph is more than enough for me.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
50.4mph along the A515 towards Ashbourne. An awesome section of road, cannot wait until the weather becomes better so I can head up that way again.
I know that road :smile:
I have hit 46 coming down draycott in the clay and regulary get close to 40 coming down wood lane in newhall.
Trouble is as soon as you hit a headwind or a hill your average drops like a stone .

ScottyB

According to Strava I hit 44mph yesterday - can anyone advise how you check where on the ride this was? Can you do it from the App or is it a PC only thing?

We had a guy in our group yesterday who was going had because he would get tired if he was out too long - to me it is the endurance that is the challenge. Got my first 100km coming up and it will be about getting the miles done at whatever cost!

When you get to my age anything over 10 mph is fast :sad:
Well with this I agree entirely, Though downhill top speeds are the fastest your confident with as someones already said. you need a good road (one you know where the pot holes are) and no cars buzzing you I am quite happy with 32mph and thats with perhaps just pedalling to keep the thing as long as possible because your going to need that momentum for the next bit. But I'm happy to stay on the bike and not feel that any time soon I'd be bounced off by a bad bit of road as we seem to have plenty down this part of the world.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I look at my records and find 35 mph is my top. Even Garmin claims I've hit 81 miles per hour at times. But when I look at the data, I cannot find this stretch where I ride 81 miles per hour. It must be at the gateway to another dimension. Or a time warp. I like it, though. It tells me where to turn and gives good statistical information and is also a good picture viewer.

Top Bottom