What is a good top speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
Did 40.9 a couple of weeks ago, not as much fun as a great 1.5 mile decent near me which allows 25+ for a long time and some great fun with bends...luckily I didn't have a car behind me

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
On level ground I can achieve about 30 mph in short bursts but when gravity assisted, the upper forty's are not unusual for me. 50 seems to be eluding me though in spite of all my efforts :rolleyes:

On my local 9% hill, I'll normally reach about 42-44 mph down it.
I must go down it with this easterly wind behind me and see if I can go down it faster .......... ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Is it odd to have no interest at all?

I do log my top speed but have wondered why I bother. It is a box to fill on the screen so I fill it.

I have though, wondered how bad it would be if you came off a bike at a fair whack - it's not like you're covered in motor cycling leathers!

The only figures I am interested in is my distance and my (very) slowly improving average speed - although I am not making any conscious effort re the latter either.

Maybe I am just getting old!

D

Deleted member 1258

Recently 35mph on my fixed which has a 65 inch gear and short cranks, in the past I've been on a steep hill riding gears and got up into the mid forties, I've also had a car pull across the front of me whilst doing 30mph plus downhill on my fixed, the emergency stop I pulled almost somersaulted the bike and I missed him by about an inch.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
A good top speed is one that makes you smile, certainly afterwards, and preferably during. A rule of thumb. if one or both of your legs still jitters ten miles later, that was too fast. For me, a good top speed is the speed of the cyclist in front (normally ianrauk, Martin235, or Ross). A bad top speed would be with Devon's finest flashing my mirrors frantically from behind.

Cyclist33

A mate of mine recently claims to have hit 42mph on his hardtail mtb coming down Streatley Hill, with the brakes feathered. I think he's talking absolute tosh. It wasn't clear whether he was riding down the road or trail but either way he's not what you'd call someone who bothers to go out riding all that much.

Does it sound realistic to you?

A mate of mine recently claims to have hit 42mph on his hardtail mtb coming down Streatley Hill, with the brakes feathered. I think he's talking absolute tosh. It wasn't clear whether he was riding down the road or trail but either way he's not what you'd call someone who bothers to go out riding all that much.

I used to hit 39-40mph on a hill in Dewsbury, its not long but it is steep, mind it was on a road bike, and to be honest I didn't go out much.

simon.r

Person

I've done 40mph on a hardtail MTB fitted with 2.3" knobbly tires (on road) while feathering the brakes a few times. If the hill is steep enough and long enough it's perfectly possible. How much he rides is irrelevant because on typical MTB gearing you're spinning out at that speed.

kerndog

I hit 46.4 the other day...

I actually think that's way too fast and I dont think I'll be doing it again. It was a buzz and it felt great at the time but I'm not 21 anymore, I have kids etc and I like living, and my skin. so after some reflection and the decision that I shouldn't really be taking huge risks with a family waiting at home, from now on I'll be taking it a bit easier!

I'd rather be good at going up them than down them!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I hit 46.4 the other day...

I actually think that's way too fast and I dont think I'll be doing it again. It was a buzz and it felt great at the time but I'm not 21 anymore, I have kids etc and I like living, and my skin. so after some reflection and the decision that I shouldn't really be taking huge risks with a family waiting at home, from now on I'll be taking it a bit easier!

I'd rather be good at going up them than down them!

I have often found myself waiting on club mates at the top of climbs, then they have to wait for me at the foot of the descent (or I have to time trial it back onto the group when on the flat) because my descending bottle is absent, lol

Top Bottom