What is going on with new bike pricing!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not likely as prices around Europe have seen similar increases...
6 years ago I bought 105 road bike from Dec for 650£
Similar bike costs now 850£...
Your example isn't quite the same level of price inflation. £650 to £850 over six years equates to circa 4.5% increase per annum over that timeframe, which isn't unduly unusual for the type of product and that intervening period.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
So I now seemed to have secured 'permission' from SWMBO to get a new road bike soon - budget will be around £5K......

But after giving my current bike a wash/clean and weigh (7.8kg as seen). I'm really am struggling to see what a £5K road bike adds expect cleaner front end. Though the cables looks messy in profile, from the front they aren't exactly adding massive amounts of width to the bike - infact virtually none.

I can afford the asking price of something like a Orbea Orca Aero, but I'm really struggling to find a justification for the outly.

51092117931_83e8c332b1_k_d.jpg

51092929375_bd06b4709a_k_d.jpg

@gzoom I agree, a new bike is a thing of beauty and something to tinker with.

My Wiggins Rouen is spot on how I want it, it weights about 11kg fully loaded with tool bag, bottle cages, wheels etc. It only runs the new Claris but it looks smart and brings a smile to my face. I thought about splashing out on something newer, lighter and/or with disc brakes but came to the conclusion there is no point as it would bring me no additional joy. I also don’t commute so it’s not like I need a hack and Sunday best bike. I can smile knowing I am a few grand happier and spend that money on the family instead.

Stephenite

Membå
So I now seemed to have secured 'permission' from SWMBO to get a new road bike soon - budget will be around £5K......

But after giving my current bike a wash/clean and weigh (7.8kg as seen). I'm really am struggling to see what a £5K road bike adds expect cleaner front end. Though the cables looks messy in profile, from the front they aren't exactly adding massive amounts of width to the bike - infact virtually none.

I can afford the asking price of something like a Orbea Orca Aero, but I'm really struggling to find a justification for the outly.

View attachment 582135

View attachment 582136
That's a nice bike. But referring back to the original post - if you've been given the OK to spend £5k on a new 'bike', what about spending it on something a bit different:

:tongue:
Found here https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-6-greatest-naked-bikes-for-under-5000/

Edit: OK none of the links on that site work. Sorry. Can always dream though 😍

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
I still like my Merida Ride 400 it’s hardly the same bike component wise but the frame I find so comfortable, I tried my cousins Para Lee and tbh it’s nice and has custom paint but I didn’t find the position nice.

The only thing I would consider in the next few years is a Merida Scultura frame and move my wheels and drive train over, I like the Merida brand and I know the right size Scultura is comfortable to ride.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
That's a nice bike. But referring back to the original post - if you've been given the OK to spend £5k on a new 'bike', what about spending it on something a bit different:

View attachment 582149

I would love one, but in 2 decades on the road bike I've hit the deck hard 4 times. Three of those times was down to me going too fast, the last time was last summer.

Took a corner too quickly in the wet, slid across the road into the on coming carriage way on my arm. Luckily no car was coming the other side, the Range Rover diver behind me thought I was goner!!

I have zero doubt if I was on a motorbike I would be an organ donor within a week. I simply don't have enough self control when it comes to unnecessary risk/speed, with zero skills to back up my lack of self preservation....Good thing am slow on my pedal bike and cannot break 18mph average on my local loop :laugh:.

50089724476_cf899c66a7_c_d.jpg

Some nice road rash there but skinny arms which need a bit more meat on them. 😂😊
Mine are courteous of children carrying and if I tried I could properly get them a bit more Popeye.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1

mustang1

Guru

View attachment 582149

:tongue:
Found here https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-6-greatest-naked-bikes-for-under-5000/

Edit: OK none of the links on that site work. Sorry. Can always dream though 😍

Wow is that the new Trek/Spesh/Whatever. I see they have twin front and rear suspension, really wide puncture proof tyres, a beautiful chassis, integrated engine, a headlight or two. If that really was made by a cycle company, they would charge £100k for it.

Then needless to say, there would be complainers like me, then others telling me if I think it's too expensive then I don't need to buy it, all while missing the point of my complaint.

I ever in Hong Kong many years ago I wanted a Walkman so at the shop I printed to a medium range model and the guy gave a ridiculously high price. I then pointed to a top range model and the guy said I cannot afford the cheaper model, why am I looking at the dearer model. He quite deliberately missed the point.

my_key

Regular
as long as people buy overpriced goods, they will cost that much. Ask yourself, is 1kg less seriously worth several thousand?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Things cost more money than I want to spend , best whine on the internet because that will put an end to it.

Top Bottom