What is happening to M&S ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Warrington has a population of over 200,000.
We DID have 3 M&S stores........
• A large town centre one which was really handy for the bus terminus.
• A VERY large one on the north side.
• A medium one to the south...mainly food (with a good bakery).

They closed the town centre one a few years ago (the rates must have been crippling).
This week they closed the southern one and announced closure the BIG one on the north side.
Our nearest M&S is now 20 miles away in Manchester or Liverpool :wacko:.......can't see many people travelling to them.

Management ! :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Warrington has a population of over 200,000.
We DID have 3 M&S stores........
• A large town centre one which was really handy for the bus terminus.
• A VERY large one on the north side.
• A medium one to the south...mainly food (with a good bakery).

They closed the town centre one a few years ago (the rates must have been crippling).
This week they closed the southern one and announced closure the BIG one on the north side.
Our nearest M&S is now 20 miles away in Manchester or Liverpool :wacko:.......can't see many people travelling to them.

Internet happened. Other competitors happened.
When did you personally last go clothes shopping in an M&S store? How much did you spend? How busy was it?
If…not for ages, not much and not very, well ….

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The Northampton town centre M&S closed several years ago and moved to Rushden Lakes retail park about 12 miles away.
I can't remember ever willingly entering one to do any shopping but did quite like their café, though.

M&S are reorganising into food and clothes units only. Units which are only one will shut down. They clothes sections will become smaller as they’ve been pushed out the market and are now focusing on food mainly.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I stopped buying M&S clothes when they started to sell T-shirts made from material you could spit through, and went completely out of shape after the first wash. Socks and pants were of equally poor quality.

The food became boring as they rarely change the available choice, and in fact have dropped some less popular items. What happened to my egg and prawn sandwich? Beef madras curry? The portion sizes seemed to decrease, while the prices became stupidly expensive.

On the very rare occasions I visit my local M&S food shop, 20 miles away, there are more staff than customers. Not long until it closes it's doors I reckon. On the other hand, they have bought the site of our former local Suzuki car dealership. It's supposed to be rebuilt as an M&S food shop, but no sign of any work going on, 3 months after the site being vacated.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've never bought anything in M&S in my life.

vickster

Legendary Member
Clothes wise, they are pretty ok for inexpensive basics like T shirts and undies (which I ordered online last night for collection, the Sutton store seems reasonably busy) and the occasional sweater or cardi

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Internet happened. Other competitors happened.
When did you personally last go clothes shopping in an M&S store? How much did you spend? How busy was it?
If…not for ages, not much and not very, well ….

Re clothes, I have been very critical of them for many years.
Back in the days when I wore suit n tie every day plus evenings I would buy from them with confidence. Then they started to look like they came from the cheapest Asian source possible.
About 6 months ago I risked some tracky bottoms.......I really should have kept my receipt :sad:

Top Bottom