What is it about chocolate milk that makes it a good recovery drink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
What exactly is in it that aids recovery?
I ask because I'm not a big cows milk fan and much prefer soya. Is a chocolate soya milk drink going to have the same sort of effect or is it lacking something?

walker

I know the answer to this, but I've forgotten

col

Legendary Member
I thought it might be sugar,instant energy isnt it?,then i thought of that ingredient in chocolate,which is supposed to be a feel good drug or something?

wafflycat

Here you go..

Includes:-

"Chocolate milk contains an optimal carbohydrate to protein ratio, which is critical for helping refuel tired muscles after strenuous exercise and can enable athletes to exercise at a high intensity during subsequent workouts."

shooter560

Best possible chocolate is dark, its been proven to be medically good for you in small daily quantities (approx 2oz a day) followed by milk and lastly white. I love it when the gov tell me choc is good for me :sad: even more so as I jointly own a handmade choc shop in Norwich and only use the best possible Belgium choc :ohmy::laugh:

stephec

Legendary Member
Tim Lawson, one of the founders of SIS, came to give a talk on sports nutrition to our club about a month ago. He reckoned that milk is no good in a recovery drink as it stops certain (can't remember which) nutrients being absorbed.

He did produce some research to back this up but again it's gone in one ear and out the other.

andygates

Milk contains a mixture of casein and whey. Casein is more slowly metabolised than some of the after-workout shakes that are pure whey. They're intended for a quick hit of protein; a chocky milk is good for an evening glug.

But it makes I fart like a hippo :smile:

Top Bottom