What is it about Ice Rink Dads ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
For the second time in as many weeks, I've had a run-in with a Dad with a car full of kids along the road outside Murrayfield Ice Rink.

Tonight's one was a complete mystery: coming down Saughtonhall Avenue when I hear a car tooting its horn some way behind me. Then I became aware of a car revving and approaching at speed. Suddenly it appeared on my right-hand side with the driver looking furious, before he started swerving in towards me. I don't know who was more terrified - me or the kid in the passenger seat (about 30cm from my face) who looked scared witless as his Dad tried to ram me off the road. The three kids in the back also had their mouths open. Just as he was in danger of touching my right hand, I yanked on the brakes and he overshot me. I expected him to take off at speed, but he just pulled back into the middle of the lane and continued on his way as though nothing had happened. I sat right on his tail afterwards and was a whisker away from following him into the ice-rink car-park for some very public words and an answer to why he'd just tried to assault me with a few tons of speeding metal for no apparent reason.

However, at the last second I thought better of it. Best leave that poor kid to wonder what kind of a cowardly bully & maniac his Dad is, rather than end up thinking that the cyclist was the baddie after he'd screamed at his poor old man.

I think I may unwrap the old helmet cam again; this was pretty bloody scary stuff. In all the excitement I failed to get his number plate, and I also couldn't tell you now for the life of me what kind of car it was. All I can recall through the terror was that it was brown !

if its brown it must either be a rover, austin or an alfa since they all go that colour after a bit anyway :evil:

jmaccyd

I have always wondered if people don't make a conection between the biggest killer of our young people (RTAs), and the driving that they as parents model to their children when they are sitting as passengers in a car. Maybe, if as parents we where to drive carefully, at the speed limit and with care than that would be the behaviour our young adults would display when they are behind the wheel? Just a thought...

purplepolly

You were in his way

part of office conversation today...
colleague "I got run off the road the other week by someone turning across me"
me "I had someone come up from behind hooting at me this morning because he was wanting to turn left and I was in the way"

peanut

bloody hell ;)

people are starting to use their vehicles as weapons to command their piece of ashphalt.
If I were you Mason I'd be thinking of how I could work and plan towards moving out into the countryside for a differant sort of lifestyle before you become another cycling statistic.

We may have our share of 'nutters' out here in the sticks but at least there are proportionaly less of them thank heaven:biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
jmaccyd said:
Maybe, if as parents we where to drive carefully, at the speed limit and with care than that would be the behaviour our young adults would display when they are behind the wheel? Just a thought...
I have wondered about the connection for some years now. I am old enough to remember when the fathers of some of our present reckless young drivers were themselves reckless young drivers.
My problem is, I am not sure that I have seen a big enough sample to prove the theory.;)

jmaccyd said:
I have always wondered if people don't make a conection between the biggest killer of our young people (RTAs), and the driving that they as parents model to their children when they are sitting as passengers in a car. Maybe, if as parents we where to drive carefully, at the speed limit and with care than that would be the behaviour our young adults would display when they are behind the wheel? Just a thought...

my parents have always driven quite normally, not cutting people up or generally driving like maniacs

I drive fast when allowed and its safe, taking it steady but still aggressive in city centres, my fiancee finds my driving of anything over 2L scary and i'm scared to get in my brother's car!

i say aggressive in city centers because if i don't hold my ground and push for what is my lane on the roundabout i'll not get anywhere other than cut up.

its a general drop in standards, someone's sloppy habits cause someone else to cut someone else up etc etc etc.

think i had another point, but can't remember it.

Is it a "Club" they are attending - or just a casual visit?

Cunobelin said:
Is it a "Club" they are attending - or just a casual visit?

If it was a club, I would go back there the next time the club is on and take a note of the registration. I would then take the matter to the police. There is NO excuse for swerving a car towards any other road user. :sad:

In fact, I would bet that the ice rink would have CCTV in their car park. Report the incident to the police and get the CCTV from the ice rink to identify the car.

shunter

Any chance it may be in connection with this

Edinburgh Capitals v Fife Flyers FFDR Cup game tonight 17/02/09

17th February 2009
Don't forget it's the return of the local derby tonight as the Edinburgh Capitals take on the Fife Flyers in the FFDR Cup.
A win tonight will see the Capitals guaranteed a place in the FFDR Cup final.
Face off is at 19:30 at Murrayfield Ice Rink, tickets are £8 adults and £6 children.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

The CCTV is too far away from the incident and around a corner, so wouldn't have seen anything, sadly. And I'll bet there's more than one brown car in the car-park, so chances of me identifying the precise car are nil.

Next time I'll follow them into the car-park and get some photos of car / plates (if I've not caught the incident on camera).

It's strange because it's a quiet side-street down towards the ice-rink; I'd expect this level of stupidity / aggression on the very busy main roads, but not there. Apart from Ice-Rink Dad, the rest of my commute home last night was lovely - and nearly all the lights went green as I approached :smile:

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

shunter said:
Any chance it may be in connection with this

Edinburgh Capitals v Fife Flyers FFDR Cup game tonight 17/02/09

17th February 2009
Don't forget it's the return of the local derby tonight as the Edinburgh Capitals take on the Fife Flyers in the FFDR Cup.
A win tonight will see the Capitals guaranteed a place in the FFDR Cup final.
Face off is at 19:30 at Murrayfield Ice Rink, tickets are £8 adults and £6 children.

I'd better be on my guard tonight then, though I'll be passing at around 4.30-ish so I suspect I'll miss the mass arrival of fans in cars !

goo_mason said:
The CCTV is too far away from the incident and around a corner, so wouldn't have seen anything, sadly. And I'll bet there's more than one brown car in the car-park, so chances of me identifying the precise car are nil.

Next time I'll follow them into the car-park and get some photos of car / plates (if I've not caught the incident on camera).

It's strange because it's a quiet side-street down towards the ice-rink; I'd expect this level of stupidity / aggression on the very busy main roads, but not there. Apart from Ice-Rink Dad, the rest of my commute home last night was lovely - and nearly all the lights went green as I approached :smile:

Goo, I didn't expect that the CCTV would have caught the incident, but it might have caught the reg no. I realise that it would be your word against his, but at least the police turning up at his door might make him think twice about doing it again.

Top Bottom