What is it with round numbers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A 21st birthday bucks the trend, but in general, why do we tend to make a fuss about the big five 0, six 0 etc? Why is that more significant than say 29 or 53?

I'm doing the daily wordle, and it's becoming more of a task than a pleasure, but I've still set myself a goal of doing 100 completed ones on the bounce before I stop, which seems silly even to me, as I'm normally quite good at just moving on when something stops being fun. It'll be almost a disappointment and also a relief if I fail before hand, yet the decision is mine to make at anytime I choose.

So, does anyone know if it's something built in to the inner psyche, or just some bizarre societal pressure I've suckered myself in to?

Sharky

Guru
Very true. The start of the next decade seems to represent something significant. I'm dreading my next milestone, but thankfully I'm still only sixty-twelve.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s just our need to see patterns and order.
We count in base 10 so it make sense.
It would be interesting from an anthropology study to see if other cultures have the same needs.
How many on here would ride a bit longer to round up if their ride was 48miles or 98 miles?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It would be interesting from an anthropology study to see if other cultures have the same needs.
How many on here would ride a bit longer to round up if their ride was 48miles or 98 miles?

I definitely would.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
My daughter used to get twitchy if the TV volume wasn’t set to an even number or a multiple of five. Obviously I made a point of only ever changing it to a prime number. Tough love, I think it’s called.

rikki

Legendary Member
My daughter used to get twitchy if the TV volume wasn’t set to an even number or a multiple of five. Obviously I made a point of only ever changing it to a prime number. Tough love, I think it’s called.
My stepdaughter had to have even numbers on radio dials so, while she was using my car, I made sure that I left it on a prime number.

RoMeR

Über Member
I once finished a ride on Derby rail station and had covered 49.8 miles but not allowed to ride on the platform.,so I was peed off for a day or two.

Top Bottom