What is lovru471.dll ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
When starting my pc, I sometimes (always ? I'm not that attentive) get the message:

Error loading C:\windows\lovru471dll

PC seems to be working without it, just wondering what it is and do I in fact need it ? (ok, it's a windows file, but what's it for?).

Meanwhile.....

A few months back, my pc slowed down to the point where it was unusable and I had to pop it into the local pc repair shop. All he said was that were too many programmes running in the background. For a short time afterwards it was nice and fast (just opening pages etc).

What are these, how can I see them, how can I delete/stop them so that I can make my pc run nice and slick again? If I go Ctrl/Alt/Dlt, look at Windows TaskManager, Processes, is that anything to do with it? Most have zero CPU usage but are using memory - is that anything to do with it?

Cheers (if you think I'm better off with a 5mm allen key in the garage then say !)

I can't find any reference to lovru471.dll on the web, which is in itself unusual. Go through My Computer, C drive, Windows and look for the file. Right click on it and choose 'Properties' from the menu. You can get to the 'Details' or 'Summary' about that file, which normally includes information including the company who created it. It may give you a clue about what software it belongs too.

The easiest way to check which programs are running when your PC starts up is to go to Start, Run....and type 'msconfig' click the OK button.

This pops up a little program designed for just this purpose. Select the 'Startup' tab and you will see a list of some of the programs that are started with windows with tickboxes to the left of any description about each one.
You can untick these which will stop them from running next time you boot up.

Be careful here. Turning off some of them will remove functionality from your PC, which may, or may not be what you want. So if in doubt, google each one before you untick them and try and be sure of what you are turning off.
If it doesn't work in the way you want, you can go back and re-tick them later to turn them back on.

You could download and run combofix just in case

http://www.bleepingc...to-use-combofix

It may complain your antivirus is running but if your are not sure how to disable the real time scanner it seems ok to run any way
You may be getting the C:\windows\lovru471dll message because your anti virus has all ready removed quarantined it anyway in which case as

2Loose has said removing it from msconfig be all you need to do

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
I can't find any reference to lovru471.dll on the web, which is in itself unusual. Go through My Computer, C drive, Windows and look for the file. Right click on it and choose 'Properties' from the menu. You can get to the 'Details' or 'Summary' about that file, which normally includes information including the company who created it. It may give you a clue about what software it belongs too.

The easiest way to check which programs are running when your PC starts up is to go to Start, Run....and type 'msconfig' click the OK button.

This pops up a little program designed for just this purpose. Select the 'Startup' tab and you will see a list of some of the programs that are started with windows with tickboxes to the left of any description about each one.
You can untick these which will stop them from running next time you boot up.

Be careful here. Turning off some of them will remove functionality from your PC, which may, or may not be what you want. So if in doubt, google each one before you untick them and try and be sure of what you are turning off.
If it doesn't work in the way you want, you can go back and re-tick them later to turn them back on.

That's worked, cheers.

You could download and run combofix just in case

http://www.bleepingc...to-use-combofix

It may complain your antivirus is running but if your are not sure how to disable the real time scanner it seems ok to run any way
You may be getting the C:\windows\lovru471dll message because your anti virus has all ready removed quarantined it anyway in which case as

2Loose has said removing it from msconfig be all you need to do

The msconfig description is purely to see which programs are running at startup and control which ones are run when the system starts, perhaps I should have been clearer. It wasn't specific to resolving the lovru471 (lovrv.dll) message. There are many possible reasons for the lovru471.dll message, from corrupt files or registry and also as you point out, perhaps AV related.

Glad that it helped all the same.

Top Bottom