What is "normal" bar width?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
it's not a bizarre claim... S-Express said it was a common misconception and asked him why. That is all.

The very phrase "common wisdom" should be a clue. I'm sure @User was using the term advisedly, well aware that such wisdom never stands up to much scrutiny. It proves the point when one person states that you should have your arms in line with the drops then contradicts himself by adding that he has different bar widths on different bikes.

Of course, none of this is relevant to the OP, who has stated that he just wants to buy another set of the same bars he already has. Without knowing his reasons for buying new bars, it's impossible to give him any meaningful advice about sizing beyond how to measure the ones he already has.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have one modern bike and one 80s bike. The 80s bike has narrower bars (that are also thinner tubing). I ride both (not at the same time). I don't think handlebar width makes much difference either way. Each bike feels a bit funny at first if I'm more used to the other, and both feel a bit funny if I'm used to my Brompton, but that passes after 10 minutes or so.

However I'm very insensitive and unable to detect peas under my mattress.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Use whatever you find comfortable, my road bike is 42 my cross bike 44. Thats what came with them and both feel comfortable. Seems to be whole world of bike fitters and internet experts willing to tell you that whatever you have is not correct !

vickster

Legendary Member
Purely anecdotally, n=1, 42cm bars gave me De Quervains tendonitis due to wrists being bent on hoods. Trip to LBS, shoulders measured, bars switched to 38cms, no more tendonitis

Seek out bars you find comfortable. The OP will probably need a tape measure to assess the current bars to buy the same bar again

The very phrase "common wisdom" should be a clue. I'm sure @User It proves the point when one person states that you should have your arms in line with the drops then contradicts himself by adding that he has different bar widths on different bikes.

I said I've got different bar widths, for different circumstances, based on my preference, I then said it's more mechanically efficient / sympathetic to have the arms / joints aligned. If I'd have said that I have different bar widths and that the wider bars are as mechanically efficient / sympathetic as the narrows, you'd have a point.

Last edited by a moderator:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Exactly, wider gives you more control in general, narrower makes getting you body aero easier, roughly shoulder width apart is arguably most comfortable for the majority of people and there will be personal and less personal exceptions to most situations. Ultimately it's personal choice, and for a lot of people, within a small tolerance doesn't make a heap of difference as you get used to what you have.

Oh an weightlifter use different hand positions depending on the discipline, clean and jerk or snatch and grab (nothing to do with D Trump)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The very phrase "common wisdom" should be a clue. I'm sure @User was using the term advisedly, well aware that such wisdom never stands up to much scrutiny. It proves the point when one person states that you should have your arms in line with the drops then contradicts himself by adding that he has different bar widths on different bikes.

Of course, none of this is relevant to the OP, who has stated that he just wants to buy another set of the same bars he already has. Without knowing his reasons for buying new bars, it's impossible to give him any meaningful advice about sizing beyond how to measure the ones he already has.
The title of the thread is 'what is normal bar width?'... a reply suggesting that something similar to the width of ones shoulders is 'normal' is very relevant to the OP.

S-Express

The title of the thread is 'what is normal bar width?'... a reply suggesting that something similar to the width of ones shoulders is 'normal' is very relevant to the OP.

It's only relevant if you are determined to perpetuate the mythology of shoulder width = bar width. A reply suggesting 'whichever you find most appropriate/comfortable' would work better.

There is no 'normal' bar width any more than there is 'normal' bike size.

Reactions: mjr

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
True or false I don't know but I did read somewhere that bars narrower than the shoulders can restrict lung capacity and recommended around equal to the shoulders to keep the lungs open. Watching some cyclocross over the weekend I did notice that most riders had bars that looked wider than their shoulders. Tonight, I'll check watching the London 6 day tracks because I'm fairly sure they tend to be narrower.

S-Express

True or false I don't know but I did read somewhere that bars narrower than the shoulders can restrict lung capacity and recommended around equal to the shoulders to keep the lungs open.

Not seen any time-triallers or track pursuiters on aero bars then?

Mens-Team-Pursuit-qualifying.jpg

Attachments

• Mens-Team-Pursuit-qualifying.jpg
    Mens-Team-Pursuit-qualifying.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom