what is the best type of bike rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wait4me

Veteran
if you have carbon you cant really but carbon bikes/forks on roof rack ones as it can make your frame/forks smash into tiny little pieces. so a tow bar one for carbon im afraid. or just wing it!!:ohmy:

Hi There,
Sorry but you are wrong about Carbon Fibre forks.
I have a Giant Escape 1.5 with carbon forks and a Mont Blanc Barracuda carrier---so following reading your "information" I rang Giant.
There is no problem with carbon forks on roof carriers as long as they are the type where the wheels are left on the bike.
The type that need the wheel to be removed and fix the bike to the rack by the front spindle area cause stress to the forks in the wrong area.
I suggest your help on the forum is based on facts and knowledge not misleading thoughts
Regards

jay clock

Massive member
if you have carbon you cant really but carbon bikes/forks on roof rack ones as it can make your frame/forks smash into tiny little pieces.

laughable!

From a lot of experience (and money wasted) the best option is to put the bikes inside the car. If this is not possible, then next best is towbar mounted. I just got a car that happened to have a towbar and the Rolls Royce of racks (Atera Strada) has cost me £380. Superb bit of kit though.

Another one I had previously is the Saris Bones. Good as a solid rear mount rack. I also had a Thule 973 Backpack and was not impressed. Fiddly to fit (Audi A3) and just felt like it was about to drop off (never did though)

Top Bottom