What is the commuting life of a set of road tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
4500miles on my current front tyre (28mm Vittoria Zaffiro - not looking too bad, still plenty of tread, not particularly squared off only a couple of minor cuts) and 2500miles on my current rear tyre (28mm Zaffiro Pro - again not looking too bad, plenty of tread left I think). Used as my primary bike for commuting/not commuting. The previous rear (Zaffiro 28mm again) lasted 2200miles before the carcass became visible.

I'm guessing tyre wear is to an extent dependent upon the type of riding you do and how heavy you are, as well as the obvious elements of tire compound. Somebody else (@Yellow Saddle ?) may be able to be more specific.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's a heck of a lot of miles...I replaced my tyres recently when they'd done 1500 miles. 7000 is a different ball game altogether...Personally I wouldn't be able to sleep until I had changed my tyres if I was in your shoes.

Not really. I would say it's about normal for most tyres.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Just coming up to 6000 miles on my (23 mm) Duranos.

Not thinking of changing yet, they've been very lucky- according to my records 1 puncture (although generally riding another bike with 32 mm Spesh Infinity in wet weather, about 3300 miles on those, two punctures, one only partial due to slime tube working just great)

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
I’ve done 8000+ miles on my Gatorskins, I have a new pair and will swap them in the next month or two. Excellent tyres, great longevity and puncture resistance but they are now similar to the op’s and looking less round!
that gives me another 1000 miles :smile:

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Just coming up to 6000 miles on my (23 mm) Duranos.

Not thinking of changing yet, they've been very lucky- according to my records 1 puncture (although generally riding another bike with 32 mm Spesh Infinity in wet weather, about 3300 miles on those, two punctures, one only partial due to slime tube working just great)
there it is the P word!

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
You’ve had your money’s worth. 7000 miles isn’t bad for a set of tyres. Time for new ones I think. Just shows how good Continentals are, all my bikes have them.
I'm with you on that great tyres...when I acquired my first bike kinesis racelight 2 I had it running on recommendation with conti grand prix 4 season and had a puncture on the first bike ride...so after some research and recommendation (on this site) bought hardshell gator and they have been a good investment.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I get about 1000 miles out of a Veloflex Corsa on the rear and I don't care how much they cost (actually £54 a pair) because the soft sticky rubber means they grip like hell even on wet roads and ride like a dream, especially with latex inners. Amazingly good tyres.

Last edited:
when I acquired my first bike kinesis racelight 2 I had it running on recommendation with conti grand prix 4 season and had a puncture on the first bike ride...so after some research and recommendation (on this site) bought hardshell gator

Most likely just bad luck as the 4 Seasons are just as puncture resistant as Gatorskins (in the tread area at least, the Hardshell version does add extra sidewall protection, but I've never had a sidewall slash in 35 years of cycling) whilst apparently giving a better ride (lower weight, much higher TPI etc).

So if you've still got the 4Seasons I'd suggest giving them another go once your current set wear out. Mine have done 3,000 miles in all conditions on horrible roads and some off-roading with no problems. They do wear a lot quicker than Gatorskins though.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A clubmate once got 44,000 miles out of a pair of Conti Top Touring (original, not the later 2000 model), and it was age/cracking that killed them, not tread wear.

I've found I get 1500 to 2000 out of gatorskins or similar on the rear, and about 3 times that on the front.
If both tyres are the same, I don't swap tyres to even out the wear, I remove the dead rear, move the front to the rear,and put a new front on (I often run a size larger on the rear).

Top Bottom