What is the correct way of braking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

An established and aged roady once told me that you apply the rear to slow and the front to stop !

Or was it the other way round...

:tongue:

But thinking what I actually do: i can't think how I brake now.

Oh yeah remembered: I have the back so that I have to pull it more and the front less.

So I don't lock the backwheel. Mostly I apply both brakes.

Varies for conditions though.

simoncc

On the road I never use the rear brake. Never.

peanut

Crackle said:
I never brake, it's for chickens.

you only brake for chickens ?!:evil:...:evil:

Def wouldn't recommend cadence braking on a bike crikey:ohmy:

Every time you apply the brakes in an emergency you are potentially making your bike very unstable ..now multiply that by 3-4 brakes and you are going to end up on your face or worse.

Best to anticipate first to avoid heavy braking altogether if you can but if you have to brake fast and hard try to fade in the braking evenly and aim to stop just in time giving yourself as much distance to brake in that you can

pinkkaz

Veteran
I always brake with my back brake first as my front one is really squeaky (does anyone know a way to get rid of the squeak by the way?)

redjedi

Über Member
I use the front most of the time. The back gets used if I just want to slow a little, but the front always for stopping.
Both get used for an emergency stop.

I get through 2 sets of front brake blocks to every one on the rear.

yello

Why should you not use the rear brake on a road bike? What curious thinking!

I've no idea which brake I apply first or how much or when. My bikes are different, one has the front on the left, the other bike has the front on the right.... or vice-versa :rolleyes: ... so adhering to a rule would be confusing.

For me, it's all done by feel. I guess I apply both brakes evenly to begin and adjust accordingly... but I honestly don't know.

yenrod

yenrod said:
An established and aged roady once told me that you apply the rear to slow and the front to stop !

Or was it the other way round...

:rolleyes:

But thinking what I actually do: i can't think how I brake now.

Oh yeah remembered: I have the back so that I have to pull it more and the front less.

So I don't lock the backwheel. Mostly I apply both brakes.

Varies for conditions though.

Y.Day monitored this and its back 1st THEN front.

I originate from an MTB background :rolleyes:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+ google 'toeing in brakes'

pinkkaz

Veteran
User3143 said:
1)Could be that the rim and or/brake blocks are dirty and need a clean

2)Brake blocks that are worn and need replacing

3)Brake blocks that are very old and have hardened over time

4)Make sure the brakes blocks are in line with the actual braking surface of the wheel

Thanks! They've been squeaky since the bike was brand new so I hope it's not 1, 2 or 3! I'll have a look later and check out option 4...

LLB

Does anyone 'play' with the limits of traction when on a loose surface ?

I was descending a lane on a big hill yesterday and was looking for a gravelly bits to lock up the front on (momentarily)

Even on gravel, there is enough to lift the back wheel on 700c 28 wide tyres

I was using cadence braking as I was going to the lockup point and releasing before it unsettled the bike.

Cadence braking is just like a manual form of ABS, and does work if you are well enough practiced at it.

Avoid braking mid corner as all the weight goes onto a very small contact patch on the side of your front tyre and you risk a lowside.

Top Bottom