What is the equivalent...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

...in terms of effort of running a marathon but for cyclists?

Do you think it's the century or is the effort involved more like 150 miles?

Thought?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
In terms of effort, I'm not sure, but I ran 50 or so marathons and I couldn't run for a week to 2 weeks afterwards but I could ride 120 miles and still be ok to ride the following day. Albeit not another 120. This is probably due to the damage running does to the muscle fibres rather than the effort involved though.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

See what you mean, Rich P. Also I guess cycling is intrinsically easier than running on a relatively flat route as you can't just coast along when you run.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Cycling is a low-impact sport so its hard to compare it to running which is a hard-impact sport.
I can easily ride 100 miles, yet would struggle to run ten. Very hard to compare the two ime

buggi

Bird Saviour
i'd say it's an individual thing and would be the time it took you to bonk, as most novice marathon runners i've spoken to said they find at about 20 miles they hit the wall and the rest is REALLY hard. So ride til you bonk then do another 6 miles ;)

walker

I think the equivilant or 1 mile of running is something like 3.5 miles cycling. But the effect running has on your body over cycling is alot different making it feel harder

Top Bottom