What is the hole for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...in donuts?

I mean why is the whole not there and why is it replaced by a hole?

This important stuff and I won't be able to sleep until I find out why.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
So the people selling them could put twenty of them on a stick and wander around shouting "Who wants to buy a doughnut?

Note the spelling dear boy. We've not become the 51st state just yet.

Brock

I always assumed it was because the center would still be doughy when the outer was cooked if an un-holed lump of dough was chucked in the fat.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think it's just one of those mysterious profound things. If doughtnuts didn't have holes in the middle one wouldn't be able to continously deform them into the shape of a coffee cup.

TVC

It's so that there is more surface area to soak up the fat when they are frying - luverly.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...in donuts?

I mean why is the whole not there and why is it replaced by a hole?

This important stuff and I won't be able to sleep until I find out why.
Surely if you replace a 'whole' with a 'hole' then there's nothing there at all!

Slim

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...oh and i thought it was something sexual :eek: :laugh: :tongue: :tongue:

I'm not 100% sure this is true but...

..a while back there was a story circulating about a group of fraternity (male student club thingy) members that had been winding up the local sorority (girly student club thingy) for the whole year. At the end of the summer term they sent round a large box of ring donuts to the sorority with profuse apologies.

The following day the boys sent round a group photo of themselves wearing the donuts. Lets just say they wouldn't have been able to wear the donuts without the holes in the middle. :blush:

mosschops2

According to wiki, the whole wasn't always there. They started off as balls, or twisted ropes of dough.

Interestingly, the shape of a donut is a torus, and as wiki says, the examples of tori include the surface of donuts and inner tubes!!

Top Bottom