What is the issue (paranoia?) with giving a phone number to someone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm surprised so many people still have home landlines.
We were offered one recently by Virgin media as I signed up to their broadband, but I said to the engineer not to bother with a phone cable.
He gave us the number though and said it's not uncommon not to have a landline fitted.
Yes, I'm currently running a covert campaign to persuade Lady Byegad that we don't need a landline, By renewal time next year I hope to have won.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm another who dislikes the phone. Much prefer email via PC keyboard. Text is OK but mobile phone screens are too small for my big fingers.
When I'm at home, I text and WhatsApp from my laptop. :okay: (but I'm also fine doing it on my mobile)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to know a plasterer a bit like that - the unluckiest man in the world. He broke about 3 appointments because his wife/daughter/a.n.other relative had just had a car crash...
Of course and its sad , i was talking in general when every person that is supposed to turn up suddenly has that sort of situation apparently ............. .

When I'm at home, I text and WhatsApp from my laptop. :okay: (but I'm also fine doing it on my mobile)

Whatsapp from a Laptop? I use it on an android phone, but I downloaded it on to a Win10 PC as I was curious to see if it would run on that too. The win10 pc has other modern apps on so I assumed it would work. Does your lapstop have a SIM card in it? That may be the difference as Whatsapp needs a phone number.

perplexed

Guru
Of course and its sad , i was talking in general when every person that is supposed to turn up suddenly has that sort of situation apparently ............. .

Yes, sorry, I wasn't being quite clear - the plasterer I mentioned was not entirley believable. I think he'd forgotten who he'd told what to, so we came to the conclusion he was fibbing.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Whatsapp from a Laptop? I use it on an android phone, but I downloaded it on to a Win10 PC as I was curious to see if it would run on that too. The win10 pc has other modern apps on so I assumed it would work. Does your lapstop have a SIM card in it? That may be the difference as Whatsapp needs a phone number.
I use WhatsAppWeb
And for laptoppy sms I use https://www.mysms.com/
Both seamless in tandem with my android phone

(no sim in laptop)

the_mikey

Legendary Member
A friend has two offspring, both recent graduates, who hate talking on phones. They won't even answer the home landline.

They use Twitter/Instagram/FB/WhatsApp all the time though.

Nonetheless, they are both more than happy to undergo job interviews via online webcam.

I never answer the landline, I'm not entirely sure why it's there, other than it was provided by Virgin Media, it seems to be a portal for scammers.

Fnaar, so there is no payment for sending sms via pc using sms.com? Just curious as most people including myself have unlimited tx on their phone regardless. I like to tinker with tech stuff sometimes.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Fnaar, so there is no payment for sending sms via pc using sms.com? Just curious as most people including myself have unlimited tx on their phone regardless. I like to tinker with tech stuff sometimes.
I think it just goes with whatever your contract allows (mine has no limit, so it's not an issue for me). Certainly there is no extra charge.

Top Bottom