What is the Law (UK) when it comes to cycling in the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadracerash1

As suggested in the question I have a minor question which I hope will clarify my arguement when I'm cycling on the road and i encounter raged motorists so here it is:
When cycling on a public road how many riders can ride side by side to be riding legally?
I ask this because I'm usually quite a polite and responsible road user and ride single file when I'm out cycling in a group. The other day when I was cycling up a hill my friend, who by the way had only just got on a road bike for the first time, I decided to ride beside him to give him some advice. The road we were riding on was quite wide and spacious. As soon as I did that we had every car beep and shoot profanitys at us i kid you not. Which then makes me question If we were in the wrong? Or has society become a pit of road raged loonatics who can't wait less than 30 seconds before safely overtaking? Was i in the wrong or are motorists in the wrong?

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
You are legally allowed to ride two abreast, but I try to avoid doing so because of inbred motons such as those mentioned in your post.

GrasB

Veteran
The advice is to ride no more than 2 abreast & not on narrow or busy roads. Legally I don't think there's anything stopping a group from riding in such a manner to take up all the lane, but that's hardly the polite thing to do.

I'd not let it bother you my self. I regularly get abuse for 'riding along side' another rider, despite the fact I'll be doing over twice their speed in almost all cases. It's the fact they've actually noticed you & have been forced to call in some judgement as to when they can overtake rather than charge headlong into the situation without thought.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there are times when riding two abreast is sensible, irrespective of the delay it might cause. If you're in a large group on a busy road it regulates and shortens overtaking

dynohub

there are times when riding two abreast is sensible, irrespective of the delay it might cause. If you're in a large group on a busy road it regulates and shortens overtaking

This is a good point. I've encountered groups of cyclists on roads where passing them if they were in single file would have been very hazardous but by bunching up they become a "slow van" and can be passed quickly and safely. The first time this happened to me when driving it took me a while to realise this. Personally I never cycle two abreast as I'm an old, slow, fairweather, "go to the shops" cyclist so I'm always on my own...

OP
OP
roadracerash1

roadracerash1

So far I've been rather pleased with the replies. I knew deep down that I had done nothing wrong. All i was doing was helping my friend to use the roads in a safe manner.
Alot of these comments have made me realize that i shouldn't hate the haters but rather commend them for noticing me. Maybe i shall use that next time I encounter a potty mouth and point out that I'm glad the spotted me, beeped the horn to give me warning that they're there and talked to me to acknowledge I'm actually there. Thanks guys.

a loon in a car accused me of riding two abreast yesterday. I was in primary. So far as I know I commute alone. I think the lead they used to put in petrol has a lot to answer for.

If they complain to me about riding two abreast I simply point out that they too are sat there two abreast but with a (usually) empty seat rather than an occupied one. And if they didn't insist on lugging those extra seats around they would be narrow enough to overtake with no problems. Sadly most of them don't seem to understand irony.

I tend not to ride two-abreast.

When my children were (much) younger I rode behind and slightly to their offside, but not as far out as two-abreast.

On longer rides now with any of them or my wife, we occasionally go side-by-side when there's no traffic.

There's no law against riding two-abreast, as already pointed out - but both as a motorist and a cyclist I prefer not to see it done too often.

Where someone is learning or lacks confidence (whether adult or child) it makes perfect sense.

It's a shame that some road users get huffy about it and beep or rev their engines.

There is much more room for a little give and take in our society than some of us seem to realise.

I blame everybody else. I mean all of them. Bastards!

Top Bottom