What is the Law (UK) when it comes to cycling in the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I try not to ride two abreast or if we are we usually go single file when a car is catching.
Im always amazed at how many cars overtake me on blind bends If I can't see around the on coming bend how the hell can they
This is what ive noticed the most, I love the nice wide considerate overtakes but completely on the other side of the road just before a blind bend?!?!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
There's no law against riding two-abreast, as already pointed out - but both as a motorist and a cyclist I prefer not to see it done too often.

I, on the other hand, prefer to see it done as often as possible. We've done this before, of course.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's horses for courses. On busy, wide roads, I'd prefer to see single file cycling in a reasonably strong position - wide enough to force a sensible overtake but not so wide as to annoy. On narrow lanes with no traffic, two-abreast is fantastic.

Of course, if there are two of you, there's one very simple solution to the problem of riding at different speeds. Ditch two of the wheels.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Im always amazed at how many cars overtake me on blind bends If I can't see around the on coming bend how the hell can they

It's not always as daft as it seems.

From your (secondary) position you'll not see very far into/around the bend but a car driver, who has a view from much further out to your right, will see more, and the further out he is the better view he'll have.

left_bend.jpg

GC

Usually you aren't so much wrong as slippery and equivocal.

Is that a posh way of saying I stumble around with an armagnac and a confused expression, asking everyone to be lovely to one another while trying to combine my love of bicycles and my passion for cars and motoring?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Is that a posh way of saying I stumble around with an armagnac and a confused expression, asking everyone to be lovely to one another while trying to combine my love of bicycles and my passion for cars and motoring?
just don't combine your love of armagnac with your love of motoring.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

No. No one is fooled by the notion that you are amiably confused. Well, no one except Mugshot, anyway.

I have just spent a couple of days in the Netherlands, and no-one would raise an eyebrow.

We were driving through Schagen and there was a family of four taking up most of the road as they cycled and chatted. Traffic just worked around them!

No-one swore at them, beeped, shouted, revved their engines!

We passed them and about 400 yards up the road were two young girls, again chatting as they cycled along, and again n-one was concerned, just drove around them when it was safe to do so giving plenty of room.

Top Bottom