What is the most hi vis colour on a jersey?

Best hi vis jersey colour

• Red

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Blue

• Yellow

• White

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

apart from the hi vis 'roadworker' vests colour, which colour jersey is best from a safty point of view and still looks cool?

Any single colour is good. Patterns are effectively camouflage - they help to break up recognisable shapes, thereby genuinely making it more difficult for drivers to see us. I'd have said red or yellow were best - I've always found them pretty visible.

Night Train

Maker of Things
When I got my Motorbike kit I went for a yellow jacket, with a few reflective bits on, and a red helmet to maximise visibility. Sort of defeated the object of getting an all black bike with black leathers.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I have just bought a bright red (scarlett) jacket from Decathlon. I hav ebeen wearing it recently in place of a hi vis vest over a black night vis jacket on colder days.
To be honest I think the red jacket is easier to see, well it seems the cars are giving me just a little more respect.

I need to buy a new jersey (again:biggrin:) and though about getting a scarlet one because then I wont have to wear the jacket on warmer days just to be seen. I have seen a lot of cyclists wearing Blue...which seems to stand out well to me...so i just wondered which to go for to maximise my life expectancy around here...I think I'll get both:biggrin:

I guess it depends on the background (city streets or leafy country lanes ?) and amount of daylight.

I remember reading something scientific, based on the number of rods&cones firing in the eye, etc, and it said that red was not at all obvious, despite what most people think, and that blue was useless.

So it's fluro-yellow or fluro-pink...

Mr Pig

I remember years ago seeing insurance company statistics saying that yellow cars were in less crashes than other coloured cars. By contrast, black cars were in more.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Whats wrong with a CC Whippet 1?? Shows up just fine...

yenrod

Its supposedly YELLOW in the day WHITE at night - but I've seen a whole lot of riders with black/blue: and thats a no-no !

asterix

Comrade Member
Depends where you cycle and if the oil-seed rape is in bloom. I wear red with a white lid. M/cyclists are advised to wear white helmets.

I had also heard that yellow was best but I don't know under what conditions the comparison was made.

Tynan

Veteran
I wear blue a lot so there, in daylight I think anything bright is fine, yes to patterns but contrast works too, I'm wearing a couple of very bright black and red tops at the moment and they feel eye catching

hi viz always catches me eye, always, plain black the opposite, had one this week where I saw a bike wearing hi viz and a second bike next to it in black a second later,

Jaded

Now that it is acceptable to drive around as if you are Superman or Knight Rider it doesn't matter what colours you wear.

Why aren't all cars yellow?

Top Bottom