What is the most hi vis colour on a jersey?

Best hi vis jersey colour

• Red

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Blue

• Yellow

• White

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Mr Pig said:
I remember years ago seeing insurance company statistics saying that yellow cars were in less crashes than other coloured cars. By contrast, black cars were in more.
I think this is more because there are fewer yellow cars on the road and more black ones. It is dodgy statistics.

My car is almost invisible (I suspect, due to the numbers of drivers who have hit me and said they didn't see me) and I think it is due to the colour, a pale metalic green. I think it is the same colour tone as the road and so is less obvious.
I am looking for some cheap reflective and fluorescent tape to stick on it, jam sandwich style, to make it more visible. That would be cheaper then respraying it.

peanut

I think that yellow always works well because everyone will subconciously associate yellow with the Hi-Vis jackets which are everywhere today.Trouble is you'd feel a bit like a road sweeper wearing one.:biggrin:

I've got an electric royal blue cape and a purple one. they both stand out well in dark country lanes with overhanging trees. :becool:

peanut

Night Train said:
My car is almost invisible (I suspect, due to the numbers of drivers who have hit me and said they didn't see me) and I think it is due to the colour, a pale metalic green. I think it is the same colour tone as the road and so is less obvious.

I'd paint some double yellow lines right over the car if I were you:biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
BTFB
Surely there is only one " stand-out " colour for you ?
You have just got to find some kit the same as your new Bianchi....
People will see you coming a mile away

MartinC

Über Member
This is a more difficult question than you think.

The human eye is constructed to 'see' outlines and movement.

A large part of what you 'see' is in fact how your brain interprets what your eyes detect (e.g the image in your eye is upside down - you brain transposes it).

Choice of colour only really makes a difference in daylight. At night lack of light may make it irrelevant or the colour of the artificial light may affect what stands out. At night reflection is more important.

Conventional wisdom says that high vis is best. There is a problem in that there is so much of it about for stationary objects that people may filter it out - i.e. the brain doesn't 'see' it.

Block colours are best - they create a good outline. Flashes of colour are good - they mark movement better. There's a contradiction here.

Yellow/Lime Green may be good. If the background is yellow (crops, dappled sunlight in trees) then it's not.

Red is bright. Red/Green colour blindness is the most common so it won't help with this.

Blue isn't the brightest but it doesn't have some of the other drawbacks and will contrast with most things in the road environment.

Black isn't as bad as some people think - it creates the strongest outline.

You pay your money and you take your choice.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Any single colour is good. Patterns are effectively camouflage - they help to break up recognisable shapes, thereby genuinely making it more difficult for drivers to see us.

Why do emergency vehicles have a pattern of two colours on the back, then?

NEED YOU ASK

I get noticed all the time

Or white of course

bigjim

Legendary Member
I think that yellow always works well because everyone will subconciously associate yellow with the Hi-Vis jackets which are everywhere today.Trouble is you'd feel a bit like a road sweeper wearing one
I quite fancy being a roadsweeper. Good job satisfaction. No stress. Out in the open air. Council pension. Hmmm.
On jackets. I always wear a hiviz these days. Never used to but got sick of all the near misses. Don't care what I look like. My bike and I are a beautiful example of poetry in motion.
Just read a post in a USA bike forum. Guy says he has retro fitted his everyday bike, back with toeclips and taken to wearing ordinary clothing to cycle everywhere. Can't do with the time taken to dress up for the bike. Just wants to get on and pedal. I think he's right but with the addition of a hiviz in the UK.

Jim

Top Bottom