What is the obsession with going faster and faster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Those middle aged ones are the worst!

oilyormo

gettin warmer??
i cant help it. every morning i think to myself " i ll take a nice leisurely ride in today. really enjoy the ride" especially if the weathers nice, but as soon as im on the bike i go like the clappers. Whats that all about?

D

Deleted member 1258

i cant help it. every morning i think to myself " i ll take a nice leisurely ride in today. really enjoy the ride" especially if the weathers nice, but as soon as im on the bike i go like the clappers. Whats that all about?

Youthful enthusiasm ^_^
I commute in my work clothes, I try to just go fast enough to do the trip in a reasonable time, but not try that hard that I arrive in a lather, the aim is to arrive having just started to glow from the exertion, If I want to push myself I'll do it on the Sunday ride.

D

Deleted member 1258

Youthful enthusiasm ^_^

dave you could be spot on mate. Im only 47. S' pose I ll grow up soon :thumbsup:

I'm 61 next month and I'm full of it as well, so maybe we'll grow out of it one day, or maybe not! ^_^

have a read of my signature at the bottom of the post.

GrasB

Veteran
LOL, Most of us are middle aged (whatever that really means) cyclists. You are only as old as you allow yourself to become.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up in an optional extra.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've never liked any sport, in fact at high school I got a sick note that said 'until further notice' and I strung it out from age 14 until I left.

Despite the fact I love Strava I'm really not terribly competitive, if some of the really fast locals take me on I'm more likely to just let them have my KOMs than I am to try and kill myself getting them back. Pah!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I've never liked any sport, in fact at high school I got a sick note that said 'until further notice' and I strung it out from age 14 until I left.

Despite the fact I love Strava I'm really not terribly competitive, if some of the really fast locals take me on I'm more likely to just let them have my KOMs than I am to try and kill myself getting them back. Pah!

at least you have had the KOM's, git..^_^

GrasB

Veteran
LOL. First rule of CycleChat - everyone is faster than everyone else.
Okay riders at 18-23mph cruising speed will rarely interact with each other except for 'traffic light sprints' in the city as the distances they're covering in the time frames significantly reduce the interactions. That speed range covers 160-300w power output, which is a wide range of abilities. So from the riders perspective there is no one about to challenge them. I'm cruising at 27mph or so on my 'bent (270-300w), which means I'm fast enough to start catching the riders down at 18-20mph on a regular basis. That same output on a DF has me cruising around the 22-23mph marker but I hardly ever catch those slower riders.

Top Bottom