What is the point of fixed or single speed ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Riding S/Spd is easy -> just pedal & look at the scenery! :smile:
Having ridden a four day tour through Wales a week or two ago - quite gentle, 480km total - I can happily say the same for fixed. Two panniers totalling around 10kg, 63"gear. Over the Black Mountain from near Swansea, via Builth and Hundred House to Ludlow, then up to Stafford. Return via Ludlow and the Wye valley.

Trickedem

Guru
Are you fixed yet Tim?
I'm almost there. I had everything ready. Put the chain on and thought I'd have a little spin up the road to try it out. Unfortunately I'd forgotten that the chainring was only attached with two bolts. I put a bit of power down and BANG!#! The chainring was bent and oval shaped. I then had to buy another which cost £18.50 as it an old crank. I've also decided to put a new bottom bracket on. So it will be ready to ride this weekend!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In Feb of this yr we moved from the South Wales valleys to Weston-Super-Mare and I bought an Urban Fixie:hyper: what fun!!-
Been up Milton Hill or Monks Hill yet? :laugh: Bleadon Hill's probably also quite a test if fixed...

andyfraser

Über Member
My first bike was a fixed, when I was 4. I had a single speed Raleigh Grifter. At least, it was single speed after I played about with the hub gears; it got stuck in top gear so I rode it like that for years.

I really would like to get a fixed (or maybe a single speed but probably fixed) having heard about the lower maintenance burden etc and it would suit my commute except for 2 things:
  1. There's a short but steepish climb at the start of my journey home and I still can't do it without feeling out of breath on a geared bike so I'd end up walking that little bit, probably forever.
  2. I'm terrible at riding standing up (I used to ride like that all the time!) and unless I get good at that I'd never get up any of the inclines.
I missed my chance to try a fixed. I found out the day I moved out of my old flat that a neighbour has a fixed but it never came up in conversation so I had no idea.

RedRider

Pulling through
I only have one bike athe moment (I know, I know) and it only has one gear.
I've been thinking n+1 is going to be another singlespeed, just a bit more sprightly. (My current steed will get a fatter-tyred, off-road makeover).
It's not bigger or better but I like it.
I can't really make sense of it except to say my one gear has done everything I want including tours, long days, hilly rides and hasn't been shown up geared company. I've adapted physically, mentally and my technique. I've got the bug. If I got a geared bike I'm worried I wouldn't use it.

Top Bottom