What is the point or benefit of a bike computer (rather than an iPhone)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gcogger

I don't think this is true anymore - I've used GPS on my Huawei £80 phone and on a GPS bike computer, and they're both pretty much equal, even when I've tracked the same ride with both devices at the same time the accuracy is pretty much the same. In fact the phone has the benefit of locking onto a signal almost immediately because it can use mobile phone masts and local wifi networks to locate itself, whereas I've sometimes had to wait for a minute or to for the GPS device to lock on at the start of a ride.
I tried a couple of decent phones before I got the Garmin and you're right that they track the route perfectly well. Where I've noticed a real difference is when using the device to navigate, rather than just track the route. On both phones, the 'distance to next turn' was rather unreliable, and I overshot a turn on my last ride using a phone, as it said I had 100yds to go at the point I passed the turning (a fairly well hidden path, so easily missed). The Garmin has been pretty much spot on since I've been using it, and I'm allowing myself to rely on it rather than double checking the map constantly, as I did with the phones.

Should not need to, just get the anquet phone app and sync the ones you want
I will look into that. I assume I can sink to an SDcard?
Thanks

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Gps accuracy, battery life, convenience, durability, looks, air temp, barometric altimeter, dedicated climb profiles, live segments, distraction free cycling and navigation, extensibility with sensors like speed/cadence, power, lights, radar, turbo trainers, etc. And probably more. Cost is the only negative imho.

Gps accuracy, battery life, convenience, durability, looks, air temp, barometric altimeter, dedicated climb profiles, live segments, distraction free cycling and navigation, extensibility with sensors like speed/cadence, power, lights, radar, turbo trainers, etc. And probably more. Cost is the only negative imho.
Do you really need all that? Air temperature? Surely you can feel that, ie put on or take off a layer.
'lights, radar" from GPS?

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Do you really need all that? Air temperature? Surely you can feel that, ie put on or take off a layer.
'lights, radar" from GPS?
Didn’t say anyone needed it. The question was about the differences. Having all that data is useful to some and useful at times to most. I love having the data my Garmin records for me without me having to jump through hoops.

Dan77

I've found my phone mounted with Quadlock and using Komoot to plan and navigate has been really good. I'm getting to the stage now though where I'm looking at head units. I tend to record on Strava at the same time and so the battery does drain considerably. There is also the greater risk of damage to the phone and the head units offer additional functionality.

lights, radar

Garmin runs your lights?
And radar how does it run radar and what are the benefits?

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Well, Wahoo Roam on its way - I was reluctant to get a mount and have my phone on the bars, and having it in pocket was a pain when i needed to keep checking route. More than i wanted to spend but speed/cadence will be useful and the map function will be good on long rides in unfamiliar places (especially if go off plan), which was the main decision to go for that not the Bolt

Top Bottom