1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the shortest trip by bike that you would do?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by summerdays, 1 Mar 2008.

1. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

Last night I used my bike to go and collect one of my children from an activity - total round trip was 0.5 miles. What made it worse is that I normally do this - bike left outside, but I'd forgotten so I had actually put the bike away in the shed so I had to unlock it too. I justified it by the fact it was lousy weather to walk in!!:biggrin:

Is there anyone else who uses their bike when their feet would work just as well? (at least I didn't hop in a car - I have seen folks do that too).

2. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

Some people do seem to use their bike when walking would be more convenient and more pleasant. I like walking, and just about never use my bikes for any local things in the radius of a mile or two.

3. Aint Skeered

Aint Skeered New Member

1 metre, anything to get my leg over!

4. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Depends how lazy I feel. When I was working at a nearby place I cycled there and the commute lasted all of 2mins 15secs so I soon saw sense and walked.

5. byegad

byegad Guru

About 1/3rd of a mile round trip. I walk badly at times so riding is easier and if there is a load to bring back the bike carries it for me.

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

I regularly cycle to my local supermarket, which is only a 5 minute walk. That's mainly if I'm doing a large shop. If it's just a few things (up to 10 kg or so) I use a rucksack instead

7. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

I bike to the gym in the light - cycling kit is a bit naff in the gym. It's about three quarters of a mile.

8. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Half a mile to Blockbuster at 21.50 on the night the DVDs are due back.

9. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

To the top of the cul-de-sac and back testing out brake adjustments!

10. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Been there and done it -or checking out new wheels - the look on the folk's face as this bike with wheels what 'whoosh' is priceless - HED Jets.......

Don't generally cycle anywhere locally - get the car out as it needs a run having been sat still all week..... plus the security issues of leaving a bike - no racks at my local shop.... but I'm the type of person that looks at a bike and the HR jumps into 'go for it mode' so I'd be a sweaty mess at the shop....

11. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I ride down the hall sometimes.

12. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

it's 6 metres from here to the fridge (for beer).

if mrs. HGF allowed me to, i'd ride that:biggrin:

the only time i ever walk is if my 3yr. old son demands that we do so

13. simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half New Member

I've got a hybrid that lives in the garden. It's got a combination lock. I'll use it to go to the hairdressers, or to buy a paper. That's a half-mile round trip.

14. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

hubgearfreak, I don't know why it is, but I can't help reading your name as 'Hugebearfreak'... ;)

15. yenrod

yenrod Guest

How can cycling kit be naff in a gym - its exercise related or is it TOO above the levels of fitness that you'd attain for a gym; actually yes i beleive it is, gyms are full of posers or for people to oggle to opp. sex !