What is the weight of Giant Fastroad Comax 2 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razor1965

Why is it so difficult to find the weight of a hybrid bicycle? Is it elitism or something? I get the feeling because it's not a 'racing style' then it's not for a serious cyclist so we won't publish weights. I telephoned a shop and asked them the weight of it and they said they didn't know and wouldn't weigh one.

Can anybody please enlighten me?

Many thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Because it's not particularly relevant to how a bike rides (only if you'll need to carry it up 3 flights of stairs) and the size varies by bike size too, the tyres you have, the pedals you have etc

Giant don't publish weights of any bikes. Go to the shop, pick it up, see what you think

I'd expect a carbon hybrid with discs to weigh around 11-12kg?

@ianrauk is selling one, maybe he can lift it up and give you an idea

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You don't buy a hybrid for it's light weight, you buy it for functionality.
A steel hybrid with mudguards and alloy 700c's will typically weigh in at about 30 lbs. A carbon one you'd expect to be slightly less. A 30lb bike is easy enough to pick up one-handed and sling up on your shoulder if need be. None of them are heavy enough for their weight to be an issue carrying up stairs etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
You don't buy a hybrid for it's light weight, you buy it for functionality.
A steel hybrid with mudguards and alloy 700c's will typically weigh in at about 30 lbs. A carbon one you'd expect to be slightly less. A 30lb bike is easy enough to pick up one-handed and sling up on your shoulder if need be. None of them are heavy enough for their weight to be an issue carrying up stairs etc.
Unless you happen to have an injury or disability ir simply petite or not very strong ... remember we’re not all big brawny manual male labourers you know ;)

Evidently bike weight is important to the OP for whatever his or her reason

The Comax is more a fast flatbar roadbike than a utility type hybrid (stupid term, covers way too many potential options)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If it's anything like the 2016 version I have for sale. It's a very light bike.
Haven't got scales here so can't weigh it.

OP
OP
R

razor1965

The weight of a 'hybrid' is as relevant as the weight of any other bike. If I'm going out doing 100 miles ride then getting towards the end, the weight tells. I'm not using it to nip round the park or to the shops. I just find it strange that it is given for road bikes but not others. Especially given that every measurement you can think of for frame, stand-over height, inside leg range, etc, etc, is quoted.....but don't ask what it weighs. A nonsense to me.

vickster

Legendary Member
The weight of a 'hybrid' is as relevant as the weight of any other bike. If I'm going out doing 100 miles ride then getting towards the end, the weight tells. I'm not using it to nip round the park or to the shops. I just find it strange that it is given for road bikes but not others. Especially given that every measurement you can think of for frame, stand-over height, inside leg range, etc, etc, is quoted.....but don't ask what it weighs. A nonsense to me.
Giant and plenty of other manufacturers don't give the weight for road bikes either as it's variable.
Go to the shop where you plan to buy and ask them to weigh it, or pick it up and assess for yourself. As we've said, it's likely a bit over 11kg. If you want lighter, the Whyte Sterling was around 9kg, alu frame (it's now a 1x11 groupset)

Plenty of folk do 200/400/600km audaxes on much heavier bikes. Geometry and associated comfort is more important to endurance cycling than weight. As well as your own fitness and body weight

If you want a bike that is superlight, and more aerodynamic, go for a drop bar stripped back roadbike that weighs 7-8kg :smile:

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'll try borrow some scales today see if I can weigh the bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
Giant don't quote weights for any bikes, because there is no universal standard.

What frame size should they quote? Well, that won't work because there's no universal frame sizing system either, so you can't compare.

Of those that do quote some do complete bikes ready to ride, some without pedals, and some even without tyres.

So, looking on the internet or reading catalogues for weight figures is meaningless. Even if you find them there are so many variables they're useless as a comparison.

Do exactly what Giant recommends you do - go to a Giant store and see for yourself.

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant don't quote weights for any bikes, because there is no universal standard.

What frame size should they quote? Well, that won't work because there's no universal frame sizing system either, so you can't compare.

Of those that do quote some do complete bikes ready to ride, some without pedals, and some even without tyres.

So, looking on the internet or reading catalogues for weight figures is meaningless. Even if you find them there are so many variables they're useless as a comparison.

Do exactly what Giant recommends you do - go to a Giant store and see for yourself.
Of which there is one in Liverpool

OP
OP
R

razor1965

Thanks guys. Especially ianrauk.

Have decided to get the non carbon Giant Fastroad. Will therefore be a smidge over the ten I expect, but close enough to what I want. As I say, the Giant Roam I have is about 15.

Top Bottom