What is the widest tyre you can add on a 23mm rim and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
This thread reminded me of a pair of wheels I had built for me by the late Sid Bloor in Prescot. He had a pair of 28 spoke campag large flange hubs and some 18mm Fiamme sprint rims. He built them up and I think they cost me about £6 in 1968. This was almost a weeks wage then. Very light and looked nice, but just not enough spokes and they kept breaking. They didn't last more than a couple of seasons.

What happened to Fiamme?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In the 1980s my road bike, or racing bike as they were called then, came with 32mm tyres. It really is back to the future with road tyre widths.
I went into a bike shop in Manchester in 1989 to buy a 'getting back into cycling' bike. I was shocked by how narrow the tyres on many of the bikes were (19C and 21C). I asked why and was told that this was "to reduce air resistance"...! :whistle:

I made sure that I had 23C tyres on my bike and years later switched to 25C.

On my bikes that will take bigger tyres, I will be switching to bigger as their current tyres wear out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Exactly and given tolerances you can call it 32mm.
Or 30mm or 35mm :smooch:

I went into a bike shop in Manchester in 1989 to buy a 'getting back into cycling' bike. I was shocked by how narrow the tyres on many of the bikes were (19C and 21C). I asked why and was told that this was "to reduce air resistance"...! :whistle:

I made sure that I had 23C tyres on my bike and years later switched to 25C.

On my bikes that will take bigger tyres, I will be switching to bigger as their current tyres wear out.
I started cycling in the 80s and yes narrower was better...

Then everyone began riding 23mm for better grip and that went to 25mm.

Now I'm on discs - bigger tyre width is possible. I'm on 32mm slicks and they're great for the crappy roads round here.

I'd not consider a road bike now unless it has clearance for wider tyres.

freiston

Veteran
It seems to me that often, when people talk about road bikes, they're actually talking about a specific type of road bike and are excluding a hell of a lot of bikes that are predominantly ridden on the roads (even if you take bikes specifically designed for off-road use out of the equation). There's plenty of road bikes with tyres 32mm or wider - especially in Holland 😉.
Gravel bikes - meh - "road bikes" built to handle cycle-paths, tracks and trails 😉
(Seriously - I have nothing against gravel bikes per se and would probably have one if I had the money and space)

CXRAndy

Guru
My Tripster can take upto 45mm with 700c wheels and 50mm in 650b wheel.

Currently I have 76mm deep aero wheels with 30mm wide tyres. They fit ever so nicely merging the tyre to bead. Wheels has 28mm inside width measurement.

I had some new wheels made for my ebike shopper. 35mm inside width

Top Bottom