What is this Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buckers24

Hi There, I am parting ways with my Moto Becann e racing bike, I think it is an early 80's bike but I really don't know the value of it or any history. Does anyone know about these bikes? Or what I could get for selling it?

Thanks!
IMG_20190126_103222.jpg
IMG_20190126_103228.jpg
IMG_20190126_103238.jpg
IMG_20190126_103256.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Buckers24 welcome to the forum

Best way i reckon to date this Motobecane is to have a look for date codes on either the wheel hubs and or brake calipers

As for value i would say that in the current depressed market i would suggest somewhere between £50 and £70 on a good day and slightly less on a bad one

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd go with Biggs's on this. It's not an especially exciting spec, nor does it have any (known) historical connections, it's just an old bike. That said, it looks like a very clean and functional old steed with plenty of life left in it, so 50-70 sovs would be about eight I reckon.

Last edited:
Looking at it more closely, the frame construction is interesting. Reminiscent of the old Claud Butler bi-laminate lugs.
You just beat me to it! :smile:

I was just looking at it thinking that it was a lugged lugless frame! A bit of a strange mix which is new to me .

Did a bit of research! The French company became bankrupt in the early to mid 80's, the company was bought and became MBK producing bikes in the far East.
Being a French company they tended to use non standard bottom bracket and headset threaded components. The drive side cup could be R/H thread or Swiss L/H thread.
The upside is that some early bikes are quite collectable but it all depends on when it was made , model and how it was constructed.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Motobecane were frame suppliers to the Bic pro team when Jan Jansens rode one to victory in the 1968 Tour de France, although the frame he rode was probably built by someone else and painted and badged in Bic team colours. Motobecane were not noted as anything more than a run of the mill manufacturer and they also made childrens scooters which were sold quite widely in this country.

Top Bottom