What is this fixie reminder moment that people speak of?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
@potsy are you paying attention. :whistle:
I'm sure I'll be fine :unsure:

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
I got my go on my new fixed "Frank" or "Frankenbike" for full name and it was a real experience! I rather loved it until my rear wheel got a puncture :sad: I love the braking once I'd got the hang of it.. That twitch you get when you forget to carry on pedaling is a shocker at first.. even more entertaining if you miss getting your foot in the toeclip and trying to hook in on the move :laugh::eek:

There are times though when being clipped in is a good thing, the one that always comes to mind was when I was out on a club run with my old club Cambridge CC. We were descending into Barrington after climbing Chapel Hill for those who know the area, I was doing about 35mph when my seat bolt broke, no chance of hitting the brakes, had to carry on the descent standing, I will never know how I did it, must have been quite a sight for my club mates. That was 7 years ago and happy to say haven't missed a beat since, but if I had not been clipped in and either of my feet had come off the pedals at over 160 rpm......

ayceejay

Guru
I think most of habitually un-clip at one spot in the 360 degrees available, I think it is a good idea to practice at various points just in case. Another thing I do when approaching a possible stop (dangerous as TF suggests) is to un-clip one side as a precaution.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I suspect the severity of the fixture kick is dependent on the gear ratio in use. Mine is around 78 inches and never been more than slightly uncomfortable

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
I Agree with you both there, I've just been getting used to it on my 73inch ratio with toe clips designed for MTB just for the ease of getting myself used to the idea of getting out in a hurry!! (still quite new to it all at the moment) I can imagine I'd be fine SPD on my racer but the fixed would be a tad more challenging for me!I do also agree though that being strapped in does kind of remind you not to take the feet off the pedals whist moving! ;)

Top Bottom