What is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
17120A58-34CD-4EBA-9B36-34C3A1DCA462.jpeg
I came on this picture on an old neglected laptop. It was taken a few years ago outside the old Lidl in Oban and I never got round to posting it at that time.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like an American cruiser type bike. See a lot of them down here. Unusually has derailleur gears, most are single speed or hub gear of some sort and coaster brake.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It looked well kept so might have been altered from the original. Just interested as I had never seen one before like that. I should have hung around till the owner appeared but was pushed for time. Ferries do not wait and leave very promptly.

Pashley Tuberider, a frame design inspired by the Parabike of WW2 fame. Ive never seen a derailleur one, presume its a older/limited production example or which has been retro fitted with a mech hanger. Nice. Interesting. Flexy as fark.

12boy

Guru
I kinda like the way it looks and suppose it's hi-ten and heavy. Here in the US there is a company, Retrotec, that makes a similar looking series starting at $2200 for a tig frame and $2700 'for lugged. Maybe get 2 or 3? The local lbs was building up a frame for a customer and it was light and very pretty if you like that sort of thing.

Also, the bottom bracket shells have a habit of falling off, since they're not particularly well attached to the rest of the frame. Later examples have more material around the bb.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I kinda like the way it looks and suppose it's hi-ten and heavy. Here in the US there is a company, Retrotec, that makes a similar looking series starting at $2200 for a tig frame and $2700 'for lugged. Maybe get 2 or 3? The local lbs was building up a frame for a customer and it was light and very pretty if you like that sort of thing.
Isn't there a company there who does an aluminium cruiser bike? I remember finding one down here and checked our their website. The prices were reasonable.

Top Bottom