What is your favourite word?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terry huckle

Sesquipedalianism

Because of its meaning

(given to using long words)

jonesy

Guru
Speicher said:
I have already said my favourite English word, (synchronicity) but may I add Stumpfgleis? It is a type of Railway platform, but for trains that terminate at a station, rather than passing through. Reading has one, IIRC, and Swindon. :tongue: I do not know what they are called in English.

[train spod]
Bay platforms.

[/train spod]

Sadly I have to spend rather a lot of my week at Reading platform 4a/4b :biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
jonesy said:
[train spod]
Bay platforms.

[/train spod]

Sadly I have to spend rather a lot of my week at Reading platform 4a/4b :tongue:

Thank you Jonesy. :biggrin: Despite lots of foreign holidays involving trains, lots and lots of trains, and track bashing, I did not know about Bay Platforms.
What btw the way is train spod?

jonesy

Guru
Speicher said:
Thank you Jonesy. :biggrin: Despite lots of foreign holidays involving trains, lots and lots of trains, and track bashing, I did not know about Bay Platforms.
What btw the way is train spod?

Spod? I think it's the same as nerd isn't it? It was a self-deprecating comment as I've been discussing trains quite a bit this evening... but I'm not really ashamed of knowing lots about railways. :tongue:

jonesy

Guru
Speicher said:
I thought that was a Gricer!

I have been called a Train spotter and track basher in the past. :tongue: and I used to be a TTI on the Severn Valley Railway. :biggrin::blush:

Ah, well I don't go spotting or bashing (though did enjoy some recent visits to Didcot Railway Centre)- as it happens I work in transport consultancy, mostly not rail related but I do have some professional interest, but I'm also a regular rail user and take an interest in how things work and what they do- sadly, I've found it does make it easier to find your way round as a passenger if you know things like what types of trains are used by which operators and on what routes, especially if you've got a bike.

And you've got all that written in a note book with pictures next to it, haven't you Jonesy. Come on admit it, I've seen the other thread and I've long suspected it anyway.

So we're onto vogue German words are we? Ok, I'll throw another one in:
Bildungsroman
Actually a word I'm not over-fond of, but it seems to be used an awful lot these days, and I suppose I too use it a fair bit. Seems to cover the bulk of today's popular culture, e.g. the entire Harry Potter genre...

jonesy said:
[train spod]
Bay platforms.

[/train spod]

Sadly I have to spend rather a lot of my week at Reading platform 4a/4b :tongue:
Oh dear! Way off topic I'm afraid! I remember the bay platforms at Reading only too well, used to dodge London by getting the train from Redhill to Guildford and Reading, then change for a mainline train to Oxford or beyond...

Been scratching my head trying to remember if there's any such platform on the London-Brighton line. I don't think there is. There used to be one at West Croydon (not on the L2B line) which hosted the trains for the single-track line to Wimbledon, but that line's been converted to a street-level tramway, and I don't know if the platform's there anymore...

I'll get my anorak...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
661-Pete said:
Oh dear! Way off topic I'm afraid! I remember the bay platforms at Reading only too well, used to dodge London by getting the train from Redhill to Guildford and Reading, then change for a mainline train to Oxford or beyond...

I'll get my anorak...

Once you get beyond Oxford. well what can I say, you can go beyond Gloucestershire, and then into Worcestershire. :tongue::biggrin: Keep going into the back of beyond, and you arrive here. xx(

Top Bottom