What is your favourite word?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Furkle

Two definitions here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=furkle

But I also know it as the act of slowly stirring a cup of cocoa.

Can't really account for it, but long words that look like assemblages of shorter English words fused together, have always had some fascination. Words like nevertheless and notwithstanding.

Perhaps weshould makea habitofit and runtogether evenmore English words toreduce thenumber ofwordsin sentences andtightenupour language...?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
User76 said:
and what does it mean?

Mine is 'contemporaenous'- existing or occuring at the same time.

'contemporaneous' also a word I like, particually since I discovered contemporaneous decisions:laugh:

but my favourite is:melancholic
–adjective
1. disposed to or affected with melancholy; gloomy.
2. of, pertaining to, or affected with melancholia.
... I think I am recovered one

asterix

Comrade Member
I like Torschlusspanik. It's German and means closing door panic. e.g. the Wall Street crash where investors all try to sell at once sending shares crashing.

phaedrus

Schadenfreude - Malicious enjoyment derived from observing someone else's misfortune.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have already said my favourite English word, (synchronicity) but may I add Stumpfgleis? It is a type of Railway platform, but for trains that terminate at a station, rather than passing through. Reading has one, IIRC, and Swindon. :tongue: I do not know what they are called in English.

lukesdad

Presset presset .........faster faster......sorry is that 2 words :tongue:

My french spelling maybe waywood english isnt much better..... What doya expect Im a chef :ohmy:

Top Bottom