What I've found out..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sickboyblue

sickboyblue

Thanks for the advice guys.. I'm riding a viking roma running on 700c x23mm. Tyre pressure may be a little low. But i think a major issue is choosing the right gear at the right time.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice guys.. I'm riding a viking roma running on 700c x23mm. Tyre pressure may be a little low. But i think a major issue is choosing the right gear at the right time.

I would recommend buying a track pump, it is unbelievable how much difference correctly pumped up tyres make.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cound your leg revolutions over a 15 second period. Do it a few times to find the typical number and multiply by 4. If that number is much lower than 80, I would try shifting down (to a lower gear) and trying to get used to doing 80 rpm+

I too went out for my first ride at the weekend and also found it hard. I'm glad I stuck to my small route and did not attempt to go too far the first time out. My route has a few hard hills which I had to walk (no shame on that for the fist outing) I'm hoping my next outing will be much easier. A few things I need to do... bring water.... bring glasses ..... put seat up a little.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Sickboyblue,
Nine months ago I thought I was a goner after 3 miles. So almost as you are now. On Saturday I did 50 miles. It is incredible how quickly you build up stamina and fitness. A little but often worked for me in the first few months and then before you know it 20 miles is a doddle.

So don't be disheartened, just keep going out.

Just go for it fella. I started cycling again in September and last week i cycled 2 marathons and one half marathon. It;s amazing how quickly the miles build up.

musa

Über Member
Think its all been said. Bit by bit. When I started cycling I became a cycle courier with no experience and that was hard. Then aet yourself targets and meet people too.

A big helping in my cycling a year or two later is meeting people of cyclechat. Makes cycling enjoyable and also gives me a push. Which sometimes you just need

Get your bike position right

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Think its all been said. Bit by bit. When I started cycling I became a cycle courier with no experience and that was hard. Then aet yourself targets and meet people too.

A big helping in my cycling a year or two later is meeting people of cyclechat. Makes cycling enjoyable and also gives me a push. Which sometimes you just need

Get your bike position right

Didn't know that Musa.. and yes can imagine it was hard.

simmi

Über Member
On my first 2 rides..
I knew I was unfit but bloody hell, I didn't realise just how unfit. I thought I'd be able to do around 5 miles.. not a chance! Managed 2.4 miles today! TBH I'm not getting out of breath or tired.. it's like my legs just give up and turn to lead.
Take those blue ribbons off and put some red ones on, it's a known fact that red ribbons make you go faster;)

Kev ducky

Regular
I test drove a roadbike yesterday and cycled about 4 miles. I am pretty fit from running but was not prepared for the aches in my back and arms. It didnt help that I was in the drop position the whole time as I was too scared to hold onto the top

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I prefer to hold onto the hoods. Feels more stable to me. That said I move my grip around. Only use the drops on descents and riding into pesky headwind

Powely

It'll soon become much easier and you won't believe how quickly you've progressed. Remember to not work a too high a gear. Get comfortable, spin your gears and forget about how far or fast you've gone.

Top Bottom