What I've found out..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I test drove a roadbike yesterday and cycled about 4 miles. I am pretty fit from running but was not prepared for the aches in my back and arms. It didnt help that I was in the drop position the whole time as I was too scared to hold onto the top
Strange, I think most prefer/ feel safer on the hoods, or do you mean the flats I prefer to leave them for climbs :wacko:

Kev ducky

Regular
Strange, I think most prefer/ feel safer on the hoods, or do you mean the flats I prefer to leave them for climbs :wacko:

Remember i,m a novice. I was holding onto the horizontals rather than above the gears. I'll get there:smile:

Was going so well.. Until my front inner tube decided to split when inflated to 90psi.. Need to get a new tube!
:'(
Get some of those slime filled inner tubes, i had a 4 or 5 mm hole in my tyre the other day and that slime stuff filled it right up and set nicely. Got another ride out of the tyre too, then i chickened out and changed tyre and inner tube.

Kev ducky

Regular
Took my new bike out today. It was freezing. Had 4layers, gloves and ski mittens which were not really conducive to charging gear. Held onto the hoods. Did 6 mile in 30 minutes, I could have done a bit more but my toes were starting to drop off.

musa

Über Member
Don't do your shoes too tight. Your legs were getting cold rather feeling it. Well happens to me anywaus probably i ought to get new bibs

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Remember i,m a novice. I was holding onto the horizontals rather than above the gears. I'll get there:smile:

Thing is... holding onto the top of the bars is comfy and I like to do it myself in some situations, in particular when climbing at moderate effort. It's also a bit more risky because you are further away from the brake levers! Someting to be considered, especially if you are learning :thumbsup:

Took my new bike out today. It was freezing. Had 4layers, gloves and ski mittens which were not really conducive to charging gear. Held onto the hoods. Did 6 mile in 30 minutes, I could have done a bit more but my toes were starting to drop off.
You get use to it. I wasnt out long today OH birthday, but cant say I noticed the cold.

G3CWI

Veteran
Get your mileage and targets into perspective. there are the HLaB, SittingDuck. Auntie_Helen, keithoates and ianrauk
on this 'parish' who will do 10,000 miles per annum and then there is the national average of circa 54 miles. So 2.5 miles is an outstanding start if you are looking to exceed the national average :wahhey: If you are aiming to challenge the others on Mycycling log then it a decent start but room for considerable improvement. Me I am just happy to keep cycling
Interested in your national average figure. Can you recall the source?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On my first 2 rides..
I knew I was unfit but bloody hell, I didn't realise just how unfit. I thought I'd be able to do around 5 miles.. not a chance! Managed 2.4 miles today! TBH I'm not getting out of breath or tired.. it's like my legs just give up and turn to lead.

As one of the bigger miler munchers on MCL as kindly mentioned by avsd.
7 years ago when I took up cycling after a 20 year break. My first commute was 1 and a half miles. Easy on the way there - all down hill. On the way back it took 7 minutes to ride back and over half and hour to recover, I had to go have a lie down. My wife said it looked like I was going to have a heart attack.

This story is not exclusive to me on Cycle Chat.
There are many on here that have similar stories to tell.

So..keep it up, take it easy and build it up slowly but surely.
You will get better, faster and fitter. Guaranteed.

avsd

Guru
Interested in your national average figure. Can you recall the source?

Here you go.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/national-travel-survey-2010/nts2010-01.pdf
The average cyclist made 6 trips per week by bicycle in 2010, spending just under two hours on their bicycle and covering 16 miles. While the average motorcyclist made 8 trips per week by motorcycle, travelled around 88 miles and spent three hours and 20 minutes travelling on their motorcycle. On average cyclists made a quarter of all their trips by bicycle while motorcyclists used their motorcycle as the main mode for nearly two-fifths of all trips

The issue is there are not enough cyclists so the national average for the population is quite low. Good old lies dammed lies and statistic :angel:

I use the low figure to motivate people starting out with cycling.

G3CWI

Veteran
The average cyclist made 6 trips per week by bicycle in 2010, spending just under two hours on their bicycle and covering 16 miles. While the average motorcyclist made 8 trips per week by motorcycle, travelled around 88 miles and spent three hours and 20 minutes travelling on their motorcycle. On average cyclists made a quarter of all their trips by bicycle while motorcyclists used their motorcycle as the main mode for nearly two-fifths of all trips

If a cyclist is defined as a person that owns a bike I am amazed at the high figure of six trips per week and 16 miles. Anyway don't want to hijack the thread.

OP
OP
sickboyblue

sickboyblue

Things I've just found out.. Viking supply their bikes with sub-standard tyres!
After struggling for 2 hours (yep 2hours) to put my tyre back on. I decided to bite the bullet and take my wheel to the LBS.. Olny to be told he's had loads of viking wheels in with the same problem and even he can't re-fit the tyres. So new front tyre and will replace the rear after pay day. OTOH.. could feel a vast improvement in the ride straight away.

Top Bottom